Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Any Advice Before Flight Training?

kevin

- eat breakfast, your brain will need the fuel

- minimun of 8 hours sleep every night or you'll burn out

- minimum of 5 hours a day with your nose in the books

- consider buying a helmet (yeah I know they are pricey, but what goes into them is priceless)

- above all enjoy. it'll be over before you know it and then you get to experience helicopter withdrawl... and that sucks.

Also if there is time between now and your start date, get a Class 4 unrestricted driver's license, WHMIS cert. and some sort of First Aid training... the higher the better. These are all things you'll most likely need in your first job as a hanger rat or low time pilot.

So where are you training at Kevin?

- eat breakfast, your brain will need the fuel

- minimun of 8 hours sleep every night or you'll burn out

- minimum of 5 hours a day with your nose in the books

- consider buying a helmet (yeah I know they are pricey, but what goes into them is priceless)

- above all enjoy. it'll be over before you know it and then you get to experience helicopter withdrawl... and that sucks.

Also if there is time between now and your start date, get a Class 4 unrestricted driver's license, WHMIS cert. and some sort of First Aid training... the higher the better. These are all things you'll most likely need in your first job as a hanger rat or low time pilot.

So where are you training at Kevin?

I am training with Premier Helicopter Training at Pitt Meadows airport. They have a really nice Bell 47 G4 and I believe there is a second G4 arriving in the new year. Rob Wood is my instrutor and he is a great guy. I have my Level 3 first aid cert. Why is a class 4 drivers liscense beneficial, how does a guy get a WHMIS cert? Thanks for the reply.

Kevin

Does the school have a website?

And im in the clear for class 4 with a class 1 correct?

Cole B)

PS Ryan, Check your PM's

The training school is just opening up this coming week. I believe thursday is there first official day. All the contact information is on the home page but the entire web site will not be activated for a short while. The link is Premier Helicopter Training

Cole, I hope this helps, make sure you ask for Rod Wood he is very helpful and I am sure he will be able answer all your questions.

Kevin

Hey that's a good shot of Marty's ol' mug. He was one of my instructors... great guy. Also recognise Andy, another nice fellow and good pilot from what I'm told. Then there is Bob Neve, one of our schedule service/ambulance pilots. Had no clue he also taught at Chinook though.

Moonlighter.... busted! :P

Anyone who posts here training at Chinook?

I am going to start my flight training in the new year, any advice would be appreciated. Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin,

I think one of the things that helped me the most was to get all the ground study books in advance. I read them over and over for 6 months and had a fairly good understanding of all things written before I even had my first training flight.

We only have so much brain space, and if you fill it up in the morning at ground school, then go flying in the afternoon, it makes it harder to absorb all the info coming at you during the flight. At $400 an hour (or what ever it is these days) you want to make the most of those 60 minutes!

Good luck with your new adventure!

DMNH