Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

How To Get Rid Of Contrail?

hurler

How To Get Rid Of Contrail  

104 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

If the big oil companies et al want 1500-2000+ pilots to do milk runs in the name of safety, why do we put up with them playing us against eachother to obtain the bottom dollar charter rate?

The answer is that too few companies and pilots will put up when the time comes to make a stand, they usually just shut up and grab the job.

We all talk, ***** and complain about Contrail, but we as a proffesion are doing an appalling job at standing up for one another, we all grab the money and run. That could mean a company dropping rates to entice future clients, or pilots accepting poor wages, poor working conditions, poor equipment and precious little time off.

The fact is, in 2006 we need standards for pilot qualifications - the problem is, we also need standards in the areas of AME duty, a/c maintainance levels, crew scheduling (and payscales to go with) and above all, rates the are accpetable enough to pay for it all. Contrail, as it exists now, is certainly NOT the body that should be responsable for making these standards, and big oil compaines who won't pay for quality, should not be the driving force behind these changes.

So if you are all so frustrated and pissed-off about this, next time you're asked to do a charter, ask what charter rate you're going out for. If you don't think it's high enough to pay you properly, do the required maintainance, pay enough crew to give you and your AME resonable time off, don't do it - that'll be the day...

"Getting rid of Contrail" is like trying to save your liver by switching from Rum to Wiskey, the real problem is our attitude as owners, pilots, and AME's.

Just my take.

AR

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First off AR, you are not a professional, you are a "Tradesman/woman". If you were a professional you would be a member of an Association that would create and enforce "Professional" standards" negating the need for such entities as Contrail.

The problem with us as a group is glaringly apparent in the poll results. We want SOMEONE ELSE to solve our problems. Heaven forbid we actually do something as a group to benefit ourselves.

The exception to this are the ambulance pilots at CHL. They actually got up the nerve to stand up on their own hind legs and do something to help themselves.

Reddog,

Re-read my post, I never said "proffessional." I said our "proffession." We do have a "proffession," it's flying helicopters.

But if you don't consider yourself a "professional," well, that's your problem, regardless of our Association or Union status, I do. And if you read what I wrote, it's exactly what you're saying in the rest of your post.

AR

PS Here some others standing up, maybe it's catching on?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england...ire/4601278.stm

Jet Box, you said on another thread that something I said was my experience. I agree and I've been trying to pass on MY EXPERIENCE and opinion to anybody that wants to listen.

You made an excellent post with respect to your employment record, I commend you on your Joice's. Those were your Joice's.

CHL-EMS is an easy target to unionize, same thing every day.

I would like to ask anybody that has an answer to this question, to come forward and tell me how you would unionize all the operators in Canada??????

If you should realize that it is almost an impossible job, your write, it will never happen in your life-time.

BUT, if you got of your rear ends and formed an association, then you might have some kind of representation.

If the association is strong enough, you will be able to communicate with TC and all the operators including the dreaded HAC.

Cheers, Don

AR,

I'd like to think that I'm the most handsome, smartest and best pilot that ever lived, but that doesn't necessarily make it so, just like my desire to be a professional. I'd like to be one but just imagining it isn't good enough.

If that was the case, then I could just imagine that I'm a doctor and set up a neighbourhood surgery shop and start raking in the money.

The number one problem with this thread is the poll choices.

How bout adding these:

"Affected operators should follow the proposed new safety rules to the letter and see what happens"

and

"Affected operators should try to organize a meeting with Brian Van Humbeck and get him to explain why he recomends the rules he recomends and ask him if he is aware that some of those rules will realistically be impossible to follow"

I made a small but important change to JB's suggestion:

The number one problem with this thread is the poll choices.

How bout adding these:

"Affected PILOTS should follow the proposed new safety rules to the letter and see what happens"

and

"Affected PILOTS should try to organize a meeting with Brian Van Humbeck and get him to explain why he recomends the rules he recomends and ask him if he is aware that some of those rules will realistically be impossible to follow"

Didn't somebody once say that "God helps those that help themselves"? I'm not religious but that seem to be pretty good advice to me.

Will that be one Kilo or two, AR?