Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bad Helicopter Season

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wednesday, Aug. 6, 2003  UPDATED AT 5:21 PM EDT

Lightning poses new threat in southern B.C.

Lightning has sparked dozens of new blazes in the fire-ravaged area in south-central British Columbia, where thousands of residents have been forced to flee their homes.

In neighboring Alberta, about 1,000 people forced from their homes by a massive forest fire were told Wednesday they are allowed to return home.

Full story:

Winnie

Sorry but I don’t know Norwegian and never been there either, but I had a very good friend and fellow pilot from Trondheim (ancient Nidaros and the first capital of Norway). But I was on the “other” side of the "peninsula", Norkopping and Stockholm this one of the most beautiful cities in the world...

On top of that, I don't know of  anything going on in Norway that could be of influence in the helicopter activity here, as the fires do, adding many work hours to our choppers. 9.gif9.gif or should it be 8.gif8.gif ?

I just make every morning a short trip via the “Globe”, the “Star”, the “National Post”, "CBC", “CNN” and “BBC”… that’s where I get it all... 2.gif

Look below. Now its lightning sparking fires all over the place in BC ... 6.gif

Was only pulling your leg anyways!

But glad to note your comments about the scandinavian side, was in Trondheim at the 1000 year anivarsary, and that was a week long party!!!

The only interesting thing about norway to put here would be CHC Helicopter Service, but I'll put that up when I get hired!! 1.gif

On the subject of fires, well at least the "real" pilots get to work some, here it is only training, more training and more training. Hve been pretty much all over the island by now, the only place I haven't been is the Norther Peninsula, and that will happen in the not too distant future, just wish I could see more of the rest of your beautiful country!

Don't be too hard on yourself Winnie, the guys that taught my how to fly I recall with great respect. I even run into them every now and again, and make an *** of myself, CTD will tell you. 3.gif

RotorPilot:

Yesss, that would be four legged alright!

At the time, I was in the Navy, and you wouldn't believe how hard it was to cross the gangway without going into the drink! (and no I don't mean my Screech and coke!)

4961: (somehow I will always remember that number...)

It's not only that, it is also the "wish I was there" factor, y'know, sitting in the hot seat of that hot machine beiing it french or americanbuilt!

Wednesday, Aug. 13, 2003

Fire continues to rage in southwestern Alberta

Globe and Mail Update

By Allison Lawlor

Hot sun and low humidity in the forecast for Wednesday are expected to exacerbate a forest fire burning in southwestern Alberta.

Over 800 firefighters continue to battle the 20,500-hectare fire that has crept close to the community of Blairmore.

On Monday night, approximately 1,000 residents from Blairmore were forced from their homes for the second time when the three-week-old wildfire, called the Lost Creek blaze, came within 2½ kilometres of the community. The evacuation order remained in place on Wednesday.

Another 1,000 people, including residents of the nearby community of Hillcrest, remain on one-hour evacuation notice.

Full story:

Alberta fire downgraded

In British Columbia, meanwhile, the situation is more serious and the province remains in a state of emergency because of extreme fire hazard.

Globe and Mail Update

By Allison Dunfield

Residents of southwestern Alberta are feeling a bit of relief from a huge forest fire this week now that the blaze has been downgraded.

… … …

In British Columbia, meanwhile, the situation is more serious and the province remains in a state of emergency because of extreme fire hazard.

On Sunday, hundreds of residents of the province near Kamloops were forced from their homes as the fire spread nearer to their communities. More than 500 people were forced from their homes west of Chase, B.C. during the weekend as a result of the McGillivray fire, which grew to 20 square kilometres by Sunday afternoon.

… … …

Full story:

http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/...Story/National/

Copter crash latest woe in battle against B.C. fires

Expanded evacuation order forces as many as 500 from their homes

Canadian Press

Monday, August 18, 2003 - Page A2

KAMLOOPS -- A helicopter fighting the raging forest fires in the B.C. Interior crashed yesterday afternoon.

The forestry helicopter went down about 80 kilometres east of 100 Mile House while fighting the Bonaparte Lake fire, north of Kamloops.

"It had one person on board. There are firefighters and emergency staff on scene at this time," Corporal Wayne Kennedy, a search-and-rescue official from Victoria, told CKNW News.

... ... ...

Full story:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Art...National/Canada