Walkarounds

Touchy subject. Lots of pilots seem to be a little hesitant about doing a 'COMPETE' walkaround, is it because you are afraid of offending the engineer? Don't be, any Engineer worth his salt will welcome a good walkaround from a professional Pilot.

Get right in there, open panels, ask questions! There is no such thing as a "Dumb Question" Same thing applys to single Pilot operations. If you stop for fuel, etc. do a walkaround before you lift off, I promise it will save your neck one day. Any comments?

Fly SAFE Guys!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Walking around your aircraft before every flight will save you. Saved me a few times. Also was doing a DI on a Twinstar one morning, after a night of inspections, to find both fuel lines only finger tight. Everybody makes mistakes or misses things. Always do good DI's and walk arounds. The life you save may be your own.

Walking around your aircraft before every flight will save you. Saved me a few times. Also was doing a DI on a Twinstar one morning, after a night of inspections, to find both fuel lines only finger tight. Everybody makes mistakes or misses things. Always do good DI's and walk arounds. The life you save may be your own.

Nobody, but Nobody, Pilots, Engineers, Management, etc. is infallable. It's up to us to look out for and help each other!

Fly SAFE Guys!

Working in the "Bush" as a P/E I used to get one of the customers to double check (another set of eye's) what I had done on the helicopter.

The customer didn't know what he was actually looking at, but in telling him what to look for I was auditing my own work.

Worked for me and the guys actually enjoyed doing it as they flew in the machine as well.

On twins (212) with an apprentice or training a low time engineer, I would make them explain to me what they had done and why.

Check lists are a must, bring a bunch when heading out.

Good for pilots and engineer's.

Cheers, Don

the only issue in pointing out your work to an inexperienced second set of eyes is that they rely on you showing them what to look at. if you missed a key item, such as a bolt/cotterpin/etc the first time, do they know enough to spot what you missed? Not likely. A second set of eyes is better than nothing, but not to be relied upon totally.

A dual inspection by a qualified individual who knows the system and everything that gets removed/inspected/replaced is the only way to go.

As taken from transport canada's site,

"It is not satisfactory for the AME signing the release to show the person performing the independent check how to perform the inspection at the time the work is completed. Such a procedure would not provide sufficient confidence that the person performing the independent check was capable of independently detecting errors overlooked by the AME."

the only issue in pointing out your work to an inexperienced second set of eyes is that they rely on you showing them what to look at. if you missed a key item, such as a bolt/cotterpin/etc the first time, do they know enough to spot what you missed? Not likely. A second set of eyes is better than nothing, but not to be relied upon totally.

A dual inspection by a qualified individual who knows the system and everything that gets removed/inspected/replaced is the only way to go.

As taken from transport canada's site,

"It is not satisfactory for the AME signing the release to show the person performing the independent check how to perform the inspection at the time the work is completed. Such a procedure would not provide sufficient confidence that the person performing the independent check was capable of independently detecting errors overlooked by the AME."

I agree 100% The problem now is that there are fewer and fewer really experienced eng around.So you have to take a liitle more time with the knew guys and help them along.

Lets say you do a DI, then head back inside to grab your coat, coffee, whatever before the flight. Do you now do a pre-flight inspection as you've left the machine unattended for a few minutes or more, or are you still satisfied with your earlier DI?

Same question for a pre-flight inspection alone. If you do a pre-flight inspection and leave the aircraft unattended for a short length of time, do you redo the pre-flight or trust nothing has changed since your last observations and carry on?

Lets say you do a DI, then head back inside to grab your coat, coffee, whatever before the flight. Do you now do a pre-flight inspection as you've left the machine unattended for a few minutes or more, or are you still satisfied with your earlier DI?

Same question for a pre-flight inspection alone. If you do a pre-flight inspection and leave the aircraft unattended for a short length of time, do you redo the pre-flight or trust nothing has changed since your last observations and carry on?

Good point Ryan. If you leave the machine for a few moments, I would at LEAST circle the machine to make sure some looky-loo has not opened a panel, fuel cap, etc.

Fly SAFE Guys!

Perfect Track;

I do not see anything in the statement I said that required a dual inspection, try reading with both eyes and I don't need you to read TC regs to me.

For pilots other than the Perfect Engineer:

Make a habit of approaching your helicopter from the front and start walking from the opposite side you fly from.

It would also be helpfull if comments were kept on a positive note and not critical of somebody else.

Thanks.

Cheers, Don