Walkarounds

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Post flights are good, get the part overnight if something is needed. I always, always do a walk around before cranking the machine up even if it has only been shut down for a few minutes. Also mention to geo's or drillers you work with to just have a glance now and again at the machine, have heard cases of them seeing oil spewing out of somewhere well before the pilot know's about it :blink:

just don't get complacent (spelling ?)

Cheers TT

I cant say enough for the walkaround....Been bit too many times by not doing one, and am thankfully still here to admit it. obviously complacency kills but I would also like to point out that being in too much of a rush can do the same thing even quicker. My only advice to those reading this would be to think about just how many lives are affected by NOT having a look.

Single Pilot Ops. of course the Pilot has to do it (according to the manual of course) if there is no Engineer available.

Not to pick on this poster but this is the exact train of thought this whole post is about. If it were up to me every pilot would be right behind even the most experienced engineer during the morning checks. This poster feels that engineer's are infalible, why would you want the same guy that did the work just running through his mind "did that, did that, did that..." It's a never ending battle to keep the pilots interested in opening every panel that can be opened without tools and being touchy/feely with all the various system behind said panels. Might even be more reason to do a good morning once over if there is an engineer assigned as that machine is more likely to have daily tinkering.

I've been reading the pilots comments and finally have to pipe in.

vintagemilano hit the nail on the head.

every pilot should do the DI with the mech. (eng.), I for one worked with my pilot and made sure we both understood what each of us was looking for.

my position was inspect every compartment you could open by hand and stick your face along with your MAG light in those areas and look for anything and everything. a drop of fluid on the fitting/decking whatever, anything that doesn't look right. anything not looking right even if you've inspected it a hundred times before, show me.

it's our lifes on the line, coming home everyday unscaved is the ultimate goal.

Not to pick on this poster but this is the exact train of thought this whole post is about. If it were up to me every pilot would be right behind even the most experienced engineer during the morning checks. This poster feels that engineer's are infalible, why would you want the same guy that did the work just running through his mind "did that, did that, did that..." It's a never ending battle to keep the pilots interested in opening every panel that can be opened without tools and being touchy/feely with all the various system behind said panels. Might even be more reason to do a good morning once over if there is an engineer assigned as that machine is more likely to have daily tinkering.

Finally, someone understands the origonal idea of my post!! I was not accusing anyone of not doing walkarounds, I was asking who does a "COMPLETE" walkaround. Also I do not feel that Engineers are not infallible, nobody in our industry is infallible. There is no such thing in our industry as being to carefull!

Fly SAFE Guys (Gals)

Splitpin

super important after an a/c comes out of inspection, especially in the busy season. pilots should develop an interest in what the engineers do at each inspection so they have a knowledge of what has been taken apart (ie. flight controls...) and if any extra work has been done (ie. t/r removed). too many guys hop in and go after a cursory look. for example, just looking to see if a part is lockwired is not enough, you should check to see that it is wired to hold a part in place. in this day and age of liability, i really can't see an engineer getting pissed by you looking out for him/her!

super important after an a/c comes out of inspection, especially in the busy season. pilots should develop an interest in what the engineers do at each inspection so they have a knowledge of what has been taken apart (ie. flight controls...) and if any extra work has been done (ie. t/r removed). too many guys hop in and go after a cursory look. for example, just looking to see if a part is lockwired is not enough, you should check to see that it is wired to hold a part in place. in this day and age of liability, i really can't see an engineer getting pissed by you looking out for him/her!

good one DB. any engineer who gets mad at a pilot for checking any work done or the general condition of the a/c is being unreasonable and should probably find another line of work. the pilot has every right to make sure the a/c is safe for him/her, the pax, groudncrew, and possibly even the engineer as well.

also, i find a walk around before every flight, checking panels, sight glasses, longline on/off helps me get in the right head space so i can put customer pressures and other distractions aside so i can go out there and be relaxed and feel comfortable so i can get the job done safely.

this has come from experience where being in a rush has bitten me in the ***.

"Touchy subject" - why? "Lots of pilots" oh really? "Afraid of offending the engineer" What the ****? Guess I'm just having trouble relating to the above statement.

Maybe I am feeling a little burned out and stressed too, thankfully I am off the job tomorrow after a looong 2 weeks, don't mind me. :wacko:

I know you mean well by starting this thread.

Hi Iceman:

I hope you have a good break from work, I understand what you are going through. It can be a very stressfull job that we do. The point I am trying to make with my post is never let your guard down as far as walkarounds go.

Have a good break.

Fly SAFE Guys (Gals)