Walkarounds

Oh come on Ryan! Your starting to sound like the people at airport security. Did you pack your bags yourself? Are you aware of the contents? Did you leave your bag unattended at any time? Etc, etc.

No worries, didn't mean for it to come out like that. Just asking the question to see what lenghts others, who have more experience than me, will go.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ryan ------Arctic Front makes a good point and brings an incident to mind concerning a DI I did on a BRAND NEW 206 that was DI'd by a company pilot at Bell in Ft. Worth and then flown all the way to Canada. I am now assigned the a/c and intend to do an "in depth" DI because NEW doesn't impress me that much any more.

I scour all over the a/c lifting, looking and pulling. Finally I come to the baggage compartment. It's empty, so why check that out? I look inside and want to check-out what's up in behind the inspection plate on the ceiling of the compartment. I do so and use a flashlight to look inside. Nothing there and I feel around to make sure I left nothing in there and just double-checking myself in doing so. Ahhhhhhh, now I feel something like a tool of some sort. I grab it and pull it down and I now have a Phillips-ended, extremely long-shafted screwdriver in my hand. Stamped into the metal of the shaft are the words "Radio Ranch". Who the **** are "Radio Ranch" and how did that get there? Radio Ranch was the company at one time and for years that had the job of installing all the King Radio packages that Bell put in their JetRangers during assembly on the production line. So much for "quality control", so much for DI's and so much for NEW. I was lucky and nothing more. A normal DI would have never found that and some engineer would have found that sometime on a 1200 or some other inspection. It's but one example of an "honest mistake" being made by someone who most likely would have been aghast at what he did.......and suffered for it. Arctic Front makes a very good point in that regard about "honest mistakes" that shouldn't happen, but they do.......and the pilot is the "LAST defence" before possible tragedy/damage happens.

You also would not believe the numbers of F/W aircraft that I have witnessed taxiing or even taking-off with the aerilons still trailing the red trailers from their hold-downs.....and they ain't SMALL either. Makes one wonder about the "quality" those DI's also. :lol::lol: