StatCan claims that managers in Alberta earn $31.49 an hour. During

fifty five day work weeks of forty hours each you will work two

thousand hours for a total of $62,980.

You should consider that pilots are rated third in America's Ten Most

Dangerous Occupations. This has got to be worth another $5 an hour

or $10,000 a year.

Knowing the helicopter business as well as I do, I can guarantee that

you will work more than 2000 hours a year. Its not so bad if you get

paid for the overtime but if you are on salary you will not.

You should also negotiate annual vacation and days off. Make sure

that your employer pays your medical premiums for you and your family.

A dental plan is also nice. Some outfits match your contributions

to RRSP's.

Get an annual cost of living increase.

Get everything is writing. This is vitally important. Nobody does

anything these days without written contracts.

Your annual salary should be at least $75,000 a year.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have chosen to accept the position of Chief Pilot for a company here in Alberta and was wondering what kind of wages I can negotiate for ? Anyone offering pertinent information would be appreciated. I haven't mentioned who my employer is because I don't need my employer to know that I'm stacking my deck prior to the negotiation. I also have no problem sharing my who I am and what company I work for to those who I feel need to know as I'm sure you all understand. I didn't think I needed a bunch a hundred hour guys advising me on what they think I should make. PM for details and thanks.

100k a year and a truck to start plus whatever else you can get ;)

i´ve been in your shoes. make it worthwhile. remember, as CP you get all the responsibilities and not alot of authority. things are rosy you don´t exist......

s#$t hits the fan and you are TOP of the list!!

my 2 bits worth...............

I would tend to agree with 412 driver

100K a truck, get the contract in writing, and be absolutely sure before you take the job that the conditions and authority the job asks will be respected.

Personally I think you are out of your mind! Was CP once at a small sized company and I tell you that pilots are extremely difficult to deal with, comparative to coraling cats. :o

Good luck and check blood pressure regular intervals. :lol:

H ;)

DPXHELI ------I'll go with 412 driver on this one. and suggest that you take his advice.......and also add my own. Almost have an atitude that you are working for YOU because in a great many cases, if companies could get away without having a CP.....they would do just that. In reality, the position is there and has to be filled so as to keep the O.C. valid......and sometimes the position is filled for ONLY that reason. So keep your "sonar" active and if you get that feeling that you are in the same position, then you might want to extricate yourself from that position. Not trying to "paint" ALL companies with the same brush in that regard, BUT it does exist........so be aware. Get a good employer and you'll love it........get a bad one and it'll be "**** on wheels"

Edited by Skidz

Why would many years of experience in the business give him an idea of how much a chief pilot /D.O.M. should make? Of all the operators I've worked for, I honestly have no idea what their chief pilot or D.O.M.'s salaries were, nor could I give a ####. It's not like those wages are posted somewhere for all to see. How much does your C.P. make???

It was a pretty simple question really!

Since you were offended that dpxheli didn't want your opinion, I can only assume that you have one otherwise you wouldn't've complained to begin with. So let's have it, what should a C.P.'s yearly salary be these days Jesse?????

Give me a break Jetbox...you have never inquired..heard the word on the street...have a friend who has done the job? Not everyone is forthcoming with there annual earnings...but if you have been around for any lenght of time you should have a pretty good idea what one in that position makes.

Maybe the fact that you don't "give a shiiite" is the reason for your lack of insight. Just a thought

Plink

Give me a break Jetbox...you have never inquired..heard the word on the street...have a friend who has done the job? Not everyone is forthcoming with there annual earnings...but if you have been around for any lenght of time you should have a pretty good idea what one in that position makes.

Plink

That's exactly my point Plink, yes I have "heard the word on the street" so to speak but unless the person tells you himself, it remains "the word on the street" which is nothing more than rumor and second hand information. That kind of information is absolutely useless.

You want to run on rumors you go right ahead! Talk about insight!!!!! :down:

Thanks for all the replies and other interesting statements. I will further PM those who have provided me with great information and thanks once again.

Thanks for all the replies and other interesting statements. I will further PM those who have provided me with great information and thanks once again.

The CP wages question is pretty difficult to comment on with the limited amount of information posted. How many pilots are you responsible for? How many a/c are you expected to be able to crew? Does the CP have to do tours? Is the CP also the check pilot? If the position is to be CP for a company with 2 R22's the wage will be a whole lot different than the CP for CHC Int'l. My feelings are that the CP wage will vary proportionally with responsibility..(read headaches there) :shock:

That's exactly my point Plink, yes I have "heard the word on the street" so to speak but unless the person tells you himself, it remains "the word on the street" which is nothing more than rumor and second hand information. That kind of information is absolutely useless.

You want to run on rumors you go right ahead! Talk about insight!!!!! :down:

Well if you have never had a candid conversation with someone in the know then you would be just speculating. I on the other hand have so I am not "running on rumours" I am quite sure there is a large range in salaries depending on company size..years with the outfit..experience. But the posts above are pretty much on the money. So I will keep getting the facts..and you keep your head in the sand..