Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Lesser Of 2 Evils...

Ryan

Was driving home last night and going over confined area approaches in my head. Then a question popped into my head. Is it better to have the sun at your back if it means the wind is too, or do you sacrifice vision and fly the approach into wind if it means looking right into the sun all the way to the ground? Assume a spot with approaches that are one way or the other. No cross-wind landings.

A light tail wind isn't a bad thing so long as you know it's there and don't get caught with your pant down. Put the sun in your face and dead snags, telephone poles and wires all vanish like a fart in the wind... as we've all seen.

So which way would you do it and why? Got an answer in my head, just want to see what the voices of experience say. ;)

Interesting...Assuming as you said that it is one or the other (no crosswind) my answer would be to accept the downwind approach, rather than risk losing site of any obstacles along the way. At least if you dont like the way things are going on the downwind and had to abort before youare commited to the landing, youcan see where it is you need to go. Having said this...I am assuming you have already checked to see if the power required for the bottom end will be there for you when you arrive. This is the way that has generally worked best for me over the years, but I have to admit that as the years have gone by I am less and less comfortable being downwind on approach (even in light winds).

My 2 cents anyway.

cheers.

Good question...If it's not to strong maybe come in downwind, if strong, maybe a slightly steeper approach so your looking more down then in front ?? Just do a good recce and keep that speed up down wind like iceman said..Also if your doing a steeper approach into a confine in a good wind, that wind can dissappear or change direction when you get below the trees hence a sudden change in power.. Not being able to see is not a good option when going into a confine. A real bad one is flying from bright sun into a shaded area, get a lot of reflection back in perspex,

Cheers TT

:) All pretty good ideas....i'll add one, why not consider a different angle of approach? Such as find a happy medium where your are only slightly out of wind (as opposed to directly downwind) , and find where the glare would be least, to go with that..... Remember, there are usually more than two options. ;)

:) All pretty good ideas....i'll add one, why not consider a different angle of approach? Such as find a happy medium where your are only slightly out of wind (as opposed to directly downwind) , and find where the glare would be least, to go with that..... Remember, there are usually more than two options. ;)

tsk tsk... C'mon B, follow the rules. Ryan said "no x-wind approaches". :P

I guess it all comes down to how windy and how sunny it is. I really dislike downwind approaches. Get a good welder's mask... :lol:

:blink: OOPS.....didn't read that part. Hey Skidz, hows it going out east? Getting any flying in?

Yup ! Been doing Astar and 206 ferries since I got back. Getting PPC'd on the Astar by the end of the month, should be getting the odd Astar PAX flight now and again after that. Doing city tours and fam flights on the pistons sporadically. Most of my time is spent teaching groundschool right now... B)

With any luck, I'll be heading to James Bay or thereabouts for the summer... :punk:

Sorry for thre hijack Ryan... :rolleyes:

tsk tsk... C'mon B, follow the rules. Ryan said "no x-wind approaches".
While the purpose of the exersise may be to limit the approach options, we need to:

Remember, there are usually more than two options.

Just don't want to new kids to get to thinking that you can only approach into wind regardless. While much of it is into wind, and is preferred, always be open to another option.

Another good thing that will help, is to keep your window CLEAN! Makes a world of difference when looking into the sun. Sometimes easy to overlook (no pun) because we might think that we don't have time, cleaning materials, (should always have window rags/cloths and cleaner someplace in the machine) or even a bit of your drinking water...

BUT, in the situation set out for us, a GOOD recee starts the whole process, and then "as required" to get to your spot. May be a bit steeper, maybe turned a bit to the side so you can look out the open window, maybe a lot of things.

And if it's JUST NOT good at that time, then it is the old: "Sorry, I can't land there right now..."

No worries Skidz, glad to hear your good news... you've earned every bit of it!

Thanks for the replies to the original post too gang. Guess it's something that doesn't look like it has a clear-cut answer to. If the wind were just a light one then I too would be going in with the sun behind me I think if a power check from that direction was okay.

If the wind were too strong for my taste I might try it on the downwind side if the sun didn't bother me too much.

Then there is the above mentioned abort and find somewhere else for the time being until the variables change to your favor? But I guess that's a decision based on experience too.

Anyone been put thru this scenerio for real? If so what did you decide and were you happy with the choice looking back?

Edited by Ryan