Free Training!

Jay Flight

Got a PM from someone who went thru this exact program. He/she wishes to remain unidentified but said I could post their info. And yes they do send you to the US to train and be a CFI there. Then when you get enough hours you come back to Canada and to the CFI thing here.

It all sounds well and good, but keep in mind they have you bent over the whole time. They pay you very little in the US, and by the time you get to Canada it sounds like they own you.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got another email today from a long time member member, backing up the fact that you do not want to train with these guys. Turns out they have a bad history with TC. Not only the school, but the owner also has TC issues. <_<

Again I can't say who gave me the info, but if you knew who it was you'd know to listen to the warning and stay away from that place.

Unfortunately Ryan, I'm sure someone out there will be desperate enough to jump at the opportunity... :down:

Ichimama:

As far as 100 hour wonders getting hired in Canada, the answer is yes, some do get hired. However, very few get on the flight line quickly. With about 250 new CPL(H) being licensed every year, for a registered commercial fleet of roughly 1200 machines (including all those working outside of Canada), the supply of new pilots far exceeds the industry's capacity to take them in. I'd be curious to know what the percentage is of new pilots who make it to 1000 hours within 5 years of obtaining their license... <_< This situation opens the door wide open for abuse in the best of cases and outright exploitation in others. Unfortunately, it's been this way for decades, so "caveat emptor" to anyone getting into the game. It's a rough road, and not everyone makes the cut. I'm not bitter about it 'cause I knew all of this getting in, but I wanted it bad enough that I knew I'd beat the odds... :up:

Ferrying a Twinstar FX to Sept-Iles tomorrow... :punk:

I have another question for this guy. If anyone of you guys out there who already have your licence would you be willing to spend your hard earned dollars on someone to teach you who only has 250 hours of experience? I for one would be NO! The instructors that I learnt with all had a minimum of 5000 hrs of experience. When you go to get your car fixed at the shop and your paying 90.00/hr. I'm sure you want some bang for your buck. You don't want the teenage tire jockey working on your car do you? Its like the customers that we fly. They want guys with experience to fly them safetly around for the big bucks that they pay for the helicopter.

Theres the old saying for something like this. Its the blind leading the blind. I myself have over 10,000 hrs and I'm just starting to think that I may have enough experience to teach someone the trade, but not when I had only 250 hrs. Noway Hozay. This is the fixed wing mentalaty of teaching. I know my fixed wing instructor only had a few hundred hours too.

Got a PM from someone who went thru this exact program. He/she wishes to remain unidentified but said I could post their info. And yes they do send you to the US to train and be a CFI there. Then when you get enough hours you come back to Canada and to the CFI thing here.

It all sounds well and good, but keep in mind they have you bent over the whole time. They pay you very little in the US, and by the time you get to Canada it sounds like they own you.

Sounds like the chinese way of getting you to immergrate (smuggeled) to Canada. You pay up front only to be a slave for life.

well transientorque2................I was thought by someone with just over 400 hours, and I though she was more safe then any 5000 hour pilot. Sometimes, big hour pilots like to show off..........but yes, because of experience. the cfi did take me on a flight once in a while to see my progress. He also corrected my little bad habits. So, I guess it work out fine in the end. Because around the end of my course only the 5000 hours pilot's would show me new stuff. They use the 400 hours one for hovering, turns, landings, the basics.

" Turns out they have a bad history with TC. Not only the school, but the owner also has TC issues. "

This could be a plus in that case.

Just because someone has issues with TC does not necessarily mean that person is in the wrong.....

...sometimes it is the other way around, in fact more often than people think.

When dealing with Transoprt Canada it has been my experience that I am dealing with a mentality at the top that is more of a danger to me and my business than being approached by street thugs.

So I would suggest you be careful with how you view " having issues with TC "

Chas W.

Further to my previous comment on this issue, I would like to state clearly that I in no way agree with, condone nor support any institution or individual that uses anyone unfairly to extort money out of them with slippery business practices.

The aviation industry is rife with slick conn artists who take advantage of the dreams of young people who desperately want to fly for a living.

In the case being discussed here I have my own suspicions of what is going on, however my knowlege of the true situation is not enough to really take a definitive position.

Having said that my first post remains as written, and may I add moral decay and devious methods are one thing in business, but moral corruption within the regulator is by far more repulsive.

And more detrimental to the industry.

Chas W.