Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Free Training!

Jay Flight

speaking of TC infractions, I had come across a website (government) in the past that listed infractions by companies and i believe it also listed the fines levied. I can't find it anymore, does anyone know it's whereabouts?

I'm pretty sure they are all closed cases and may be the typical 1 to 2 years after the fact, but still interesting info nonetheless. Gives you insight to many problems in the industry. for those who are delegated to cover their companies butts, it's also a good read to know where you might get caught and how much it'll cost you.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, the instructor thing normally goes 1 of 2 ways. The instructor is still green from training and wants to be in control all the time, and wont give up the controls. Or, because they have just been trained themselves, they have a great deal of knowledge to pass on.

I have one fairly lowtime instructor for my ppl(fw) and he is awsome, smooth on the controls and really gets his point across. That being said I have one at the opposite end of the spectrum who is not to much fun to fly with, and I prefer not to fly with him.

Wich brings me to my question. Is it wrong to tell your cfi that you dont want to fly with said individual? I think mabey the better thing to do (that I am trying this week) is to ask for a different instructor. I dont want to crush anyones ego, or get them in trouble and have them hate me, but I dont want to spend 155$ (172) an hour to fly with someone I dont want to fly with.

My school informed me that I will have to take a Dual Pilot Review (I havent flown since somewhere around november) and wanted me to do it with the pilot in question... I know Im coming off as a jackass here, However, I used the bad weather as an excuse to get out of a flight with him, I just dont want to waste money on something that isnt fun.

Like I said... this is something that can go 2 ways.

My opinion on the "free" training: you are selling yourself, It seems like a bit of a scam to me. In order to make back thier investment they would have you doing some pretty solid hours. Much of it might not be flying. At least when you pay for it you deserve some respect. But would you seriously hire someone that has 500 hours, started out for free (so might not have even really wanted to be a pilot, but the oppertunity came up), has only light piston time (if they're instructing Im sure thats how it would end up), and lacks any real expieriance ( has only done basic stuff since hired)? Of course this is probably off the truth, they would probably get some turbine time in and probably gets some charters.

Sorry for the long post. Cole :punk:

hey cole

The guy you don't like..is it because he is not teaching you things or is it he's not fun to go for a pop with you after hours, with my ppl(fw) c150 I had both a younger instructor that we would go for some pops after a good day of flying, would show you how to do everything smoothly but between circuits he would be talking about the girl he got to take home last night.. was great to have some laughs but it wasn't until he left and I was back with the older 'stick in the wood' that he took me out and did some landings on stubble fields and some farm strips that were 30ft wide and grass 1500ft long that I really started the learning curve.... anyone can teach you to fly.... its the guy that will show you how you will live flying is the guy you should give your $$$$ to that's my 2 cents :up: Im now at 430 hours( all fw ) saving for my helicopter license :punk:

Hes just frustrating to fly with. He seems afraid to let go of the controls. He would tell me I was doing something wrong but not tell me how to fix it. I have a pretty long fuse, but he was getting down to the short part. I think on one flight alone he had me do 4 circuits befor he explained how to do the landing. 4 circuits may not seem like much, but then I was averaging 8-10 per hour, so 80$ spent on not being taught anything.

I mentioned that to him in the debrief and he just said something to the effect of 'oh, didnt it get demonstrated to you in the end of your last flight?' Like I said, the other instructor was lots of fun, we did forced approaches all over the place a steep turn like 20' AGL (that was so much fun) and if I screwed up, he let me know, and told me how to fix it.

Cole B)

I will elaborate... we turned right at about 35* of bank, over a cliff. No reason to be afraid, not really anything dare devil like. I wouldnt think of doing something like that solo (Its A. not legel and B. Pretty stupid at 30 hours)

So tomorow im going to call and book a flight. In stead of telling them I dont want to fly with one pilot, I am going to ask to fly with another. Its a pretty small and tight knit community and I would rather not have it feed through the vine and end up at said pilot. I think this will work, its more like giving a comliment than pissing someone off.

Cole B)

So if something is stupid at 30 hours is it less stupid at 3000, or 30,000? Statistically if your going to prang it is most likely to come in your first 1000 hours or so(according to the Transport Canada Lady who did my PDM course in college) so that low time instructor next to you isnt nearly as smart as he may think he is.

There are numerous aerodynamic reasons why putting an underpowered airplane like a 150 or a 172 into a steep bank that close to the ground are a bad idea, not to mention birds, wires, trees, towers and men on stilts, all of which combine with the massive blind spots on the 172 and 150 with short staining results.

But thats not the question you asked. Do you have the right to demand a new instructor? Absolutly. with out question. Why? for one, ITS YOUR MONEY. you have the right to request the instructor you desire, and the school should not give you any flack for it. Remember, your the customer, and they need your money. If your instructor is doing things you dont like call him on it. Or haul the CFI aside and let him know. If they give you any hastle let them know youll consider training elsewhere. theres more then enough schools around, and the key thing here is for YOU to get what you want, not make them feel good.

And two, in a few years (or less) youll be paying 450 or more for helicopter training, best get in the habit of knowing where your money is going now.

Well, when I think about the terrain where I was, it wasnt a big deal. I also bet he has done it a few times and knows his way around that specific place. We were doing forced approaches and where we were the ground dropped out from under us after we initiated somewhere around a 35* turn (I would barely call that steep)

I think I am going to try the proactive method tomorow and request a flight instructor. If that fails (I hardly see why it would). I am going to take it up with the CFI. The thing about that is that my school is small, and word travels fast. For what they charge me (I think its like 25$ over industry standard, plus I dont have the option to fly in a 152) and that they charge me $40 an hour for a briefing (wich I try to cut down by going in as informed as possible). I think this is because they have no local competition personally. I am gonig to stop this rant befor I hit a nerve :(

Remember- there is no such thing as "free" someone always has to pay.

Cole B)

Ok...let me get this straight......

This company/school/institution will pick up the tab for your training...bump you up to the instuctor ticket...get you to up your hours...pay a modest wage...bring you back to Canada....do some converstions so you can instruct and I'm guessing work for them (probably a contract to be signed for a couple/three years?)...and this is all taken care of by them????

Well, from what I see....isn't this the same as some of our RW peers who have chosen the route of a Canadian Armed Forces pilot with the CF picking up the tab? Pass the mandatory entry exams...basic training...begin flight training....receive a modest wage...and then begin your "payback" of 7 years as an "employee" of Her Majesty's Canadian Armed Forces???"

Bottom line...it looks the same, the only difference is you get to wear Polo shirts instead of CADPATs

just my opinion

W