Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Free Training!

Jay Flight

On the flip side, in the CF, you could end up going in totally the opposite direction you want to go.

Its almost worth it to earn your cash and pay your own way.

Thanks guys for the advice, I think my instructor issue is solved. (and Im hoping he doesnt read this site :shock: )

Cole :punk:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish I could afford to fly in Penticton. But 130 large is much more than I intend to spend on training.

Ive talked to some of the people that train there, and they went in knowing nothing, and pretty much put donw the deed to thier condo to pay for it.

How do people afford that. For that matter, who spends 130G's on something they know nothing about. I hear the training is supreme, but is meant for higher time pilots looking to expand thier skills. I know the cops train with them though.

Im looking to train on a 300 or 47.

R22C, I dont feel offended by what they said if thats what you mean. they have a valid point, but considdering the terrain, it wasnt as hardcore a manuever as one might think.

I originally was thinking of training here, sounds like they do alot of internal hiring. First time I flew in a helicopter was with an aussie guy from down here. He said that he was just pushing 200 hours, and that he had trained there the past fall, then they sent him out on small jobs and ferry's and eventually he was flying all the tours they do (still hear him on the radio going around ellis canyon). He said that that particular day, he had another LOWER time guy (a greener) fly him out there and back. seems like a good system. BUT the way I see it, if I try hard enough, I will be in the seat long befor it would take me to make that kind of money. Unless someone has some dream job where I can make 130G's in a year, thats not going to happen.

Cole B)

This thread got me thinking... exactly how low are the minimums for CFI training in the States? Is there any gap at all between US pilots getting their license and starting the CFI training or do they still have a wee bit of hour building to do first?

I am both envious and nervous for them that they have the CFI avenue right after they get their license in the mail. :unsure:

This thread got me thinking... exactly how low are the minimums for CFI training in the States? Is there any gap at all between US pilots getting their license and starting the CFI training or do they still have a wee bit of hour building to do first?

I am both envious and nervous for them that they have the CFI avenue right after they get their license in the mail. :unsure:

Ryan,

The usual progression for pilots in the US is:

PPL(H) (40 hours)

CPL(H) (150 hours, including 100 hours PIC)

IFR

CFI

CFII

For the IFR, CFI and CFII there don't seem to be any minimums per se. I checked in "FARS in Plain English" and in the FAR/AIM and couldn't see the mins. Mebbe Phil can enlighten us... ;)

For details, refer to FAR Part 61