Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Exec Helicopters...

I was wondering why these little heli''s aren''t used too often, if at all, for commercial ops? The 162F''s spec sheet seems similar to an R22, and it''s way cheaper too. Are they only considered Experimental, or can they be licensed as commercial also? There seems to be a lot of pilots with ill feelings toward the R22, does the same go for an Exec? Anyone ever flown one for a comparison?

Cheers guys!

It only has a permit to fly, not a C of A.

I've not flown a Robbie, so I can't compare, but I did go and evaluate an Exec for a potential importer in the UK, and thought it a lot of fun, but then that was a factory-built one. The CAA's opinion was that if it survived the US's litigious society then they would look favourably on it, which says something, I suppose - however, they did mutter something about it being professionally built, and you would need a PPL on something like an Enstrom first.

Phil

There is a fellow just outside of Red Deer whose name escapes me (Allan something) who has built an Exec for himself and finished construction on several other for other owners. He at least used to tour fly-ins and airshows with his own bird. He appeared to be a competent craftsman apparently needed for the assembly of the Exec, but if you get the chance have a close look at the design and construction of a Rotorway machine compared with a Robinson product. Most would agree at some point that a Rotorway Exec is probably most likely to bring the avg pilot enjoyment (and confidence in a safe landing) within only about 10'' agl. Their design and materials leave room for concern (eg. the chain-driven main rotor). There is one in Vernon which had its chain drive converted to belt drive, but this in-turn put unanticipated horizontal tension on the main rotor bearings which then cracked the frame where they mount.

On a related topic, anyone ever seen a Mini 500 up close? What makes them tick?

100''

A friend of mie worked at the EXEC factory in Arizona, he was the company instructor for about 9 months, but after 3 accidents he left! He was not impressed, and all the machines he flew were factory built!

Accident 1: The drive belt for the tail rotor did not catch on a power recovery, and the machine rolled over on landing

Accident 2: The drive shaft into the main transmission snapped on power recovery, giving TONS of Tail rotor power, but no main power!

Accident 3: Engine quit! (granted that is not the aircrafts fault, but I''d think I was accident prone!

An answer for 100ft…..I think….and T5limit may remember this moment.

I’m sitting in Heli-North’s lounge at Buttonville Airport, summer of 97 I believe, and I hear a bloody ski-doo engine running. Considering the season I immediately had flashbacks to a party in Digby NS in June of 85. Was partying at a friends house and we discovered a 2 foot square patch of snow in his back yard….under his ski-doo. About midnight we thought it would be a good idea to take the ol’ Bombardier for a run…. stunned move, had to get a tow truck the next day to tow my 4X4 Chevy S10 out of the mud right after we tired to use it to pull buddies ski-doo out of the mud!!!

Anyways, back on track….I heard a ski-doo engine revin’ up and asked the by’s what the heck  that was all about….walked out onto the ramp and saw the machine of my dreams, boyhood dreams that is of Popular Mechanics (you know, the magazines right next to the Sears Spring and Summer catalog)….a bloody mini 500 with the blades going. Wicked sight, funny sound. The thing never did lift off while I was there….never forget that moment though!!

Maybe so, CTD, but, as you well know, the general record of kit-built rotorcraft is pretty rough. Sure, that''s at least partly because of the calibre of drivers, but the very concept of allowing people such a great opportunity to kill themselves with a machine known to be beyond the capabilities of anyone inadequately trained is, to me, bordering on the criminal. But then, I still think Frank Robinson is culpable for foisting a killer like the R22 on the market, and Art Young for all the Bell''s that killed people through mast bumping. I honestly don''t know where the line should be drawn on some of these things, I''m just adamant that there should, at least, BE a line.