Unionize The Whole Damm Industry

UNIONIZE THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Angry Egg Driver -------there are few who are covered. Do not misunderstand either because there's a difference between a "seasonal employee" and a "contractural employee/company". When hiring-on as a seasonal employee, one may or may not be covered under all of their employer's insurances for liability, etc. Do not ASSUME that you are.....check and see it in writing. IF you aren't covered by them, then you better have something in place for yourself, otherwise you got NOTHING and are fair game for the predators come lawsuit time. IF you are a "contractural employee/company" then you are covered for NOTHING because you are now considered in law as a separate company/corporate entity........and all unions have to treat you as such. I made the reply to "Perfect Track's" post because I got the impression that he also was under some misunderstandings concerning this word "contract".

I think the term 'contract pilot' is extremely over-used and misunderstood.

If your employer takes taxes off of your cheques, you are not a contract pilot. If you think you are a contract pilot and you only work for one company, be careful if you ever get audited... You and your employer might get a surpise.

As for the whole issue of unions, I don't know much about them. Nor do I know a whole **** of alot about economics. I do however, see a problem with our industry and what pilot's and engineer's are paid for the amount of time and skill we put into our careers.

Whenever I talk to one of our industry old-timers, they tell me they were making pretty much the same money back in the 80's...

Why is it that the cost of living and inflation has gone up steadily for the last 25 years but Helicopter industry rates and pay hasn't gone up much?

The way I see it is the only reason this industry even has people working in it still, is because they don't know much about it before they get into it and are blinded by their love of flying.

Just for some examples: Truck drivers in the oilpatch here in Alberta make an average of $30/hour. If you work 12 hours a day (which we do very regularly, if not more) you usually get paid your overtime on a daily basis. and make about $420/day. If you work say 240 days a year you will make over 100,000 a year. Why is it that a helicopter pilot isn't making much more than that? I realize that in the right line of flying and if we work that many days a year we can make similar money, but the amount of skill and danger involved should warrant much higher pay in my opinion.

Right now our only option for improving our work conditions is to jump to other companies that are willing to pay us what we want. Unfortunately for those companies, the pilot is usually the one who keeps the clients happy and can very likely take some of them with him to the next company. But I guess that is just the way of a free market.

If I wasn't so in love with flying, I would just go start a small oil-field service company here in Alberta... My brother in law did just that and at 24 years old he pulls in about $20-$30,000 a month just running a tiny small overhead service and maintenance company. He will most likely be a self made milionaire by age 30.

The only way to make a million dollars in the helicopter industry is to start with 10 million.

Jet B, the difference from the contract pilot and employed pilot is just the bottom line, a contract pilot will be paying his/her own taxes, insurance, etc, all of which should be in the contract, an employed pilot is one who has the taxes, insurance, etc. taken out of their pay prior to receipt.

An industry that bears many similarities to ours is film/TV/Stage /production. People clamber over each other to get a job, are willing to be treated like crap in order to catch a break, and then once settled into a 'steady' income, ***** about how much work they do.

So could not the model of ACTRA be used for this industry?

Wanna work? Show your card.

Somethings gotta give. A couple of decades ago, during training, Jetboxes were going for about 500-550/hr . Now i've been away from babybells for a while, but isn't the rate only about 25% higher today? Most everything else has gone up 150% in that period.

Jet B -------depends on what you term "old timer". I can tell you that I was in the top 11% of Canadian wage-earners in 1968........and that's a long time ago also. The comparison with what other professions/trades make "falls off the tracks" real quick. I know of no surgeon who makes as much as a player for the Vancouver Canucks or the NBA. I have been in many locales over the years where the guy cleaning-out toilets and doing janitor work was beating me on the wage scale and maybe he hadn't passed beyond Grade 9. Danger? There was approximately 50,000 people killed on American highways last year and if the total killed in aircraft would have apprached that number, then I'd be out of the profession myself already or divorced.

It's the "Law of Supply and Demand" and if my supply exceeds your demand, then I got problems. People in the logging business know a lot about that nowadays and a whole lot of oilfield service companies were quite knowledgeable about that also back in the days of Marc LaLonde's NEP. Two years after that started, I could have bought a $00,000 house in an upscale area of Calgary for $120 - $140,000. You cure the problem by first addressing "How come we have an over-supply of a/c and companies then?"

my question wasn't meant to be so complicated, it was an easy answer.

I do realise the "scab" identification will be the result. And I know friendships will suffer because, strangely, union blood is thicker than friendship blood.

Will an oil company be able to hire/use contract pilots as subcontractors under "XYZ Helicopters" banner and skirt the issue of union pilots?

and all this talk about making more money on the 80's...ever think you may have been overpaid then? Should have built up the nest egg a bit more with the earlier windfall.

An industry that bears many similarities to ours is film/TV/Stage /production. People clamber over each other to get a job, are willing to be treated like crap in order to catch a break, and then once settled into a 'steady' income, ***** about how much work they do.

So could not the model of ACTRA be used for this industry?

Wanna work? Show your card.

If the film industry is unionized, how come things aren't rosy posy??? Isn't what a union is supposed to do? Make everything alright??? According to some people anyways!

and all this talk about making more money on the 80's...ever think you may have been overpaid then? Should have built up the nest egg a bit more with the earlier windfall.

Perfect Track, don't be a smart ***! B)