Unionize The Whole Damm Industry

hurler

UNIONIZE THE ENTIRE INDUSTRY  

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest Angry Egg Driver

Unless going union is going to get me another 20K a year,which would already make my great annual pay simply awesome or the aircraft i'm flying even better then they already are whats the use?So that a small majority of people that are struggling in our industry can get more than what they probably deserve?

I have friends that work in sawmills that are union.The stories that I hear from them about how little that they do and actually get away with is appauling.And its not just those unions that take advantage of their employers.

Like many have said in previous posts,there are some shady operators out there and in any business there always will be.....thats just human nature.If you don't like where your at ....leave.There is a lot of good employers out there that treat their employees and aircraft with the respect they deserve.If you cant find one then maybe you should look a litte farther into the route of the problem.

I would bet a small fortune on any group that unionized in the VFR world wouldn't last long.Maybe you would do the rest of us a favor.Good luck......

just my 2 cents....... ;) '

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The unions have done a wonderful job of looking after the employees at Ford.

They did a great job with Canadian Airlines, too.

You're concerned about an owner having 'absolute rule' over his/her company.

If an individual is going to invest a large sum of money and create their own company, with all the inherent risks that come with it, why shouldn't they have all the say in how their money is spent?

Do you accept someone dictating to you as to how you spend your money?

I get treated very fairly at the company I work for. It would piss me off to have a union come in and alter the terms I have negotiated for myself.

Hurler ----- allow me to introduce you to some more "antiquated" ideas that I'll be taking with me when I retire:

1) I, ME, Yours Truly is the ONLY breathing human being who has control over me. Any operator or owner who believes otherwise, better stop using a straw to sniff that white line of powder on that piece of glass. I have a skill to sell and the operator that satisfies me the most, gets those skills. Whenever and if ever they decide to abuse that agreement, then I get up from the table with my chips and find another more hospitable enviroment. Those who feel obligated to tolerate being abused in ANY WAY have my condolances, but the choice is theirs and they have their reasons for making that decision. Do not therefore blame people with "antiqated" ideas such as me for that decision and do not blame those that are happy to take advantage of someone when they bend over....for such is life and "welcome to the real world". The vast majority of my employers in this business since I began, also think the same way as I do and as a result, the vast majority treated me fairly. I am the "sum total" of MY decisions in this life and business and will not "cop-out" to blaming others for those times when I could have said "No" and didn't. I also refuse to blame my family or my past mortgages as the reason for those bad decisions because that's another "cop-out" to shift the blame onto others.

2) The "helicopter price wars" that you refer to did not start with the owners, but your "esteemed" officials in downtown Ottawa. I pre-date those changes by eons, so don't be dumping any of that on the owners. Many, many owners were against that change, argued about what would ensue and seen it happen, it did not go over smoothly and still "sticks in the throats" of many an operator, owner, Ops Manager and plain old line pilot of that time. Somehow, somewhere, somebody has mis-informed you acutely.

3) This "cult leader" has never "engrained" or suggested to anyone, at any time, to "fly the helicopter and shut up". I refer you to paragraph #1 for my feelings on that. One's "backbone" is used for something else besides separating your head from your assh*le.

4) If you do not adhere to nor believe in the above principles, then me and my ilk will be more than happy to take them with us into retirement. Remember this though.......when talking "Union" be VERY careful of the "big-talkers" that say they will be there to back you up and are "with you all the way buddy". If you don't exercise that caution, you'll turn around at that particular poignant moment when you have lots to loose and find NOBODY behind you in support. Their not being there also has something to do with "backbone"and you'll be left with the moniker "loose-cannon".

"Blackmack, from a functional perspective I do not intend to unionize the entire industry"

So Hurler if "you" don't intend on unionizing the entire industry what part are "you" planning to unionize?

Sounds like you have your work cut out for yourself.Maybe it will lead to a full time job and you won't have to deal with all the bad employers in the business.Highly unlikely.I have a feeling if you were to push the union crap to far that you would really have a hard time finding any work in this business.

Unions now....We just got to the end of the Contrails chronicles.I'm sure this is the start of another controversial thread...................

For someone complaining about the contrail issue, I see you have taken the bite here. I think that the Quebec Cartel should be unionized unless you have a good set of knee pads!

AR

First off when you call someone ignorant..you should learn how to spell it first! Second of all...it amazes me how much whining goes on here. If you don't think your job is secure and you your pay isn't high enough..then find something else to do!

Ask the GM workers in Oshawa how great their union is when they all lose their jobs in a a few years.. If I was an owner operator and had someone tell me what I had to pay my staff I would just lock the doors. If you are any good at your job then you should garner a wage that reflects that already. If not...well maybe you do need a union!

I bet you are voting for the NDP aren't you AR :up:

I think that the GM thing has to do with American unions are stronger than ours amd of coarse the US had to show that they were not just cutting US jobs. Its just politics.

Plink,

Well maybe if the working conditions in the industry were monitored with the zeal you display for tyoing errrorrs, we wouldn't even be having this conversation. Your wit and razor like spelling prowess are truly daunting... Give me a break, are you an adult?

I have no trouble with what I get paid, or the security of said job, but there are many abuses that go on in our industry, and some type of representation is in order, probably an [/b]association. The treatment most low-timers get is appalling, the quality of machinery, and number of days worked really need an oversight commitee made up of someone other than TC, because they don't give a ####. Not to mention a conflict resolution system etc etc.

Let me guess, you're applying for American citizenship so you can vote Republican... Gotta make sure that when they're down you keep 'em there eh? I know nobody needs to tell you what to do because you've got it all figured out right? Well maybe if you spent a bit more time sharing your infinite wisdom with the rest of us, instead of congratulating yourself on catching typing errors, you could contribute a bit more to the industry. I think I know where you work come to think of it, and if you don't work there maybe you should.

Oh, and I'm a Green Party kind of guy... :punk:

.enparty.ca/]http://www.greenparty.ca/[/url] ;)

AR

Oh, and I vote No on the poll to a Union

I think that Pinky was a grade school champ at spelling bees. I too do typing or spelling errors. It woiuld be nice if this web site would have the spell checker too such as MS Word.

Guest Angry Egg Driver

T2

Havn't worked for the frenchman since the summer.Moved on to greener pastures.And it might be nice to see them go union,maybe they wouldn't be around much longer...... :P

so refresh my memory, how do contract people fit into union operations. Couldn't an operator easliy reduce full time unionized employees and fill all the spots with contractors? The union would still steal away the union dues from the contractors so maybe they won't care too much.

You would then be reclassified as a SCAB!

T2

Havn't worked for the frenchman since the summer.Moved on to greener pastures.And it might be nice to see them go union,maybe they wouldn't be around much longer...... :P

Did u have enough of Jimmy? I don't blaim u.

T2

Oh by the waym is Richard Morin still there?

Skids Up.........you remember that the next time I get a chance to get you drunk. Just remember that the next morning when you attempt to blame me for forcing that glass/bottle to your lips 10-12 times and none of this "it's all your fault because my head hurts so bad". Stay well bud. :P

Perfect Track ------"Contract" pilots and engineers ARE NOT employees........they are separate company entities all onto themselves. They are entitled to no benefits by law and do not fall under any of the contractural company's insurances nor unions. I trust/hope that you know the difference, otherwise one of these days if/when you have an accident, there BETTER not be lawsuits that ensue as a result of said accident. IF they do, the lawyers for the Plaintiff go after your employer FIRST and then come after YOU...... and maybe both of you at the same time because you ain't defined as "an employee" in a court of law nor in the business world.........you're a separate COMPANY and a separate entity altogether. Premium on my Liability Insurance when I was contracting was $2,800/year, just so I could have my *** covered.

Guest Angry Egg Driver

Hey Cap.....you bring up a very interesting point...I wonder how many contract pilots have their own liability insurance?I know that when I did contract work that I never even gave it a thought. <_<