Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Over Weight, Pooped Out, Out Of Sight

Splitpin, I agree with you all the way.

Koalaa119- I agree with a lot you said, I have been in the industry 10yrs and I know I will never know it all. I know alot of people that think they do mind you.

Sounds like you need to move on, if your with a company that seems to look the other way when guys flying these aircaft are doing that crap its not a place I would want to be, you may follow the rules, fly the aircraft within its limitation, What scares me is the guy getting in it behind you and pulling its guts out and flys it like he stole it.

Then you come back and thats when the s@t hits the fan and you pay the price.

I'm not saying I havent unintentionally over torqued before or made a bad choices since I have been flying either, we all have, but it is nice to let the engineer know when it happens, There are tons of guys that will over torque and never say anything.

I guess they think if nothing happend when they did it, and the aircraft is still flying everything is fine, They have never heard of fatigue before.

I like your 1700 lbs LR story, that makes me sick in the stomach to know these guys are out their flying.

I once had aguy claim to me he could lift a 1100lb load with a R-44, and to sling shot a load off the ground was taught to him by his chief pilot and normal in the company and if you dont learn to do it you will get run off the job.

I started my career doing logging and when they started to sling shot loads.

I decided that wasnt what I wanted to get into. If it cant lift it then it dont go.

I guess that is why that aircraft was always in the hanger getting tranny mounts replaced from cracking. The bottom line in this industry is cover your own *** and look out for number 1.

Where are you PLINKO I have seen you around here lately, you sitting in the back ground thinking of something to say. :D

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CAP- I hear you. I know alot cant be changed and yes in a perfect world everything would be weighed and isnt, I really can't compair and shouldnt Compair Canada to the U.S I agree with you.

As for the half mile- If you do not know the area then you should back off and yes give it one mile or 2 what ever you feel is comfortable with, That is why they call you pilot in command, My first season I flew in the Monashees heli-skiing with a 407, if I didnt have a 1 mile vis I didnt want to be flying around in it because I was new to the area. They understood. Yes, I was lucky I had good guides with me to understand that, but I didnt go the whole season like that either, It was about 2 days until I got comfortable with the area and the drainage I was working in. That was my choice and I would have stuck to my guns on it if there was someone that didnt agree with my choice.

As far a s flying A to B then set that limit for yourself, 1 mile or no go just for that unseen wire you dont know about, But dont change the law to 1 mile for that.

Cap yes I have learnt a few choice words in my short time flying, but they are all taught to me by old-timers like yourself, :up: Cheers

Guest Bullet Remington

Cap:

You contankerous old coot! I know I'm a Newfie, but honest to God, I thought I was typing Canajun hinglish! Swear to God! Could be you're needed another tour out bye, too much of the Missus cooking!! ;)

I believe you've taken my post outa context!

There was and isn't any thing about "not flying the aircraft" inferred anywhere there. I simply meant to point out that I was impressed, simply because you have obviously hung around with a couple of us old greasey paws alot more than some of the young guns! And... you've obviously asked alot of questions, heard some of the answers, and acted on some of the advice!

Should you ground a machine because a Barfield is not available? Nope! Matter of fact I'd be riding your derriere should you ever attempt to do so! Should you ground a machine because you butt told you something's wrong?? You bet your behind you should! As Splitpin so elequently posted, If my driver feels there is something wrong with a machine, there usually is! Some times its trhe machine, some times its the driver! By that I mean some days the driver has a bad day. His Missus is causing him grief, his kids are acting up, he's been on tour too freakin long, thwe jobs getting boring and he's working on coping with it, bad driller, bad juggies, bad shooters, Bad everything. Do I look at the machine when he's like this? You betcha! It's his behind and my machine, I'm gonna check it! If I can't find anything wrong with the machine, we do a turn, still can't find anything wrong, we do a test flight. And if we can't find anything on the test flight, we talk.

But as Splitpin says, the machine will tell me. Always does, always will. Some times she talks loud and clear, other times she mumbles. (Those times I turn up the hearing aids!!)

Do I believe that Feeling and hunches are accurate? You betcha a bottle of Single malt I do! The machine will talk, whisper, moan, and she smells too. Some times a good smell, sometimes not! (And nothing to do with what the driver ate last night either!! :down: )

As for computers and programs, you don't have to tell me about those freakin things! I am endorsed on AirBus and the new Boeing New Generation of Planks. Couple of days ago I took a Notebook up to the cokpit, ran a cable from computer to the Bulkhead and uploaded the latest and greatest data. But the weird thing is, even with the latest and greatest, things still don't work like the Pinky Engineers said they would! The machine still thinks the TOGA switch was pushed on some take-offs and wants to go to Max. Power. So I know that the latest and greatest is not necessarily better.

As far as I'm concerned, it don't matter what they come out with next, the old tools still work better than the new, the Troubleshooting guide is not necessarily correct, and USUALLY, neither the driver NOR the machine will bul$hyte me when it comes to telling me the full story!

For those of you who think that you are getting away with over torqueing the machine, Nope. I know she'll lift more than she's certified for, and most pilot's know she will. But she ain't gonna like it, and she will tell me. Maybe at first she'll only whisper, ya know the occassional vibration when ya pull pitch, and sometime's she stop shaking for a while. Then a little later she'll get PO'd and pop a lift link. Or maybe she'll wait until the next check, but she'll tell me.

One way or another, she won't let any of us abuse her.

I try to be nice to her, because if she really gets abused, she'll hurt me and my driver in ways that I don't even like to think about!

Am I makin sense now ya old coot? :lol:

Next time I'll talk rrrreeeeaaaallllllllyyyy ssslllooowww!! :P

So, Yer lifting heavy things again??? Geez, how much did you actually eat this break? Ya gut getting that big? Might have to change yer name from Contankerous Old Coot to Fat Ba$t@rd!!! :up: :up:

Gee whiz BR, I wasn't even THINKING about you when I made that post. I was replying and agreeing with Splitpin all the way.....and then some.......so THERE! Now you go back over to that toolbox, grab an 18" crescent wrench and rap yourself upside the head. I know you talk Newfie, but I didn't misunderstand you at all. :lol:

.........and I dumped 15 lbs and I'm healin' just fine......and I'm a bast*rd for sure, but not quite so fat of a bast*rd as I was. :lol: :up: I'll still cast a shadow when I'm done though. :lol:

Firehawk -----I've learnt my share from those with half my time flying, so it didn't ALL come from those with more experience than me, so it pays to look forward and look behind....so to speak.....and I suspect you do too. I'm luckier than most in one **** of a way though. A long, long time ago in a place far, far away I had that "I've got something to prove" taken outta REALLY quick and at great cost. As a result, I came home with nothing to "prove" to anyone, anymore, anywhere, at anytime.....or for any reason.......and I was still only 23.

Guest Bullet Remington
Gee whiz BR, I wasn't even THINKING about you when I made that post. I was replying and agreeing with Splitpin all the way.....and then some.......so THERE! Now you go back over to that toolbox, grab an 18" crescent wrench and rap yourself upside the head. I know you talk Newfie, but I didn't misunderstand you at all. :lol:

.........and I dumped 15 lbs and I'm healin' just fine......and I'm a bast*rd for sure, but not quite so fat of a bast*rd as I was. :lol: :up: I'll still cast a shadow when I'm done though. :lol:

Okie Dookie Then!! I'll have to hop over to the toolbox! I got that one foot stuck in my face again!! :shock: And that 18" Cresent is ONLY good for whackin myself upside the head with! Some ill informed Plank Driver thought it was a good idea to use the thing, along with a 20lb sledge to drive bearing onto a cold-rolled steel bar I welded up to lift the freakin hanger door!! Some people's kids!! :down:

He no longer touches my tools! ;) 15 lbs! Geez, If I lost that much I wouldn't have to lean back in the shower to get the lower part of my body wet! :huh:

damned, I still can't get no pre-she-ation! :blink:

Disregard the previous post!! I must've been suffering from a brain fart!! :shock:

Should you ground a machine because a Barfield is not available? Nope! Matter of fact I'd be riding your derriere should you ever attempt to do so! Should you ground a machine because you butt told you something's wrong?? You bet your behind you should!

Here is a situation for you. I got sent up to the arctic to pick an L-1. I was sent by myself to start a job that should take no more than 5 or 6 days. At the time of year I expected it to take a month, which is just about how long it took. When I got there the a/c was covered and waiting for me. It had been sitting for the better part of two months like that. I carefull removed covers and did a very thorough DI. I decided since I had a couple days before the customers showed up because they were late, I would do a ground run. On my first start, the C-28 started slow, but I expected it. The problem was the TOT was very low and I couldn't get it past 600 deg. I did a restart with a warm engine, and this time it started fast, but still not temps over 600 no matter how much fuel I added. At this time I let it idle for 15 mins ant the TOT stabilized at 300 deg. I found this to be too low. I called the DOM who was very leary at first, but after another couple starts and a test flight, agree to ground the a/c until we could do a barfield. The guage ended up being almost 300 degrees out. We changed the guage and my starts were normal from that time on.

I have had other indications on one other a/c that the TOT guage was low, but the company said it was close enough. 100 hours after I got off the a/c the engine blew up. I heard about it an wondered how many times the thing had been hot started because of the TOT being to low. They never said anything to me but my *** still knows the guage was low.

In a perfect world we would have had a barfield handy and engineer to service it right away, but I know that it doesn't always work that way. My hat is off to those engineers that have gone the second mile for me when I have grounded a/c because my feelings told me it wasn't right.

:)

OPS MGR in the company that you work needs his head read, everybody that has been in the industry knows that a helicopter sitting for two months will go U/S all by itself.

Condensation plays "****" with any piece of machinery.

I am assuming that you are Pilot, not a P/E.

The A/C should have been started by an AME after that length of time.

Seems to me there needs to be a shakeup somewhere.

Engines are not insured for hot starts which will eventually blow apart after about the third one.

All companies should show Pilots a turbine wheel that has been over temped, it does not forget.

Someday people will smarten up and get HUMS system installed and save allot of headaches and potential accidents.

I would tell you personally that if I was back flying I would insist on a HUMS system or have a hot end done on the machine before I would fly it on contract.

There is two much margin for error on actual over temps and overtorqued for my way of thinking.

Think back to the days of the "Polar Shelf Contract" when the days of the straight Bell L was called for, that was changed to Bell L with C20R engine and then GPS was added as mandatory equipment. This equipment was required to save on fuel, added power and ease of navigation. It is what is referred to as progress.

The NFTS contract in Portage was contracted to have HUMS system installed on the 206's, never installed. Operator picked up the cost of an engine after it came apart.

People never learn and life goes on.

Yes I am a pilot, but I do have my basic training and about 2 1/2 years of an apprenticship done. Not to sure what a HUMS is either. Is it a black box? I love flying a/c with those things. In fact with my stance, most of the other guys give it to me when I show up on a contract. Works for me.

And yes, they need there head shaken and no I don't work for them any more. When they layed me off I went looking else where. It good to hear there are other guys out there with the same standards of safety as I try to up hold for myself.