Over Weight, Pooped Out, Out Of Sight

I'm a changed man, no more throwing rocks at the Trusted and proven AS350 line, or that other company that I used to heckle on a weekly basis. Nope, it's right down the straight and narrow for me, I'm surprised that you never noticed, it's only been about 1 year

Awwh come on! Am I the only smart *** left on this forum? That's no good!

I did notice and was wondering where the heck you been! What's wrong with you, d'you discover religion or somethin? No wonder this place has become so boring lately!

I can't even find anything to scrap with TQN about!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

407 Driver --------that was a question I asked and not a statement. You are correct, but that wasn't the question..........I said "at sea level approximately". Unless there was an earth movement, I don't think Penticton qualifies :D You know "where I'm going", so sit down and grab a coffee......soon-to-be-oldtimer" :lol: .

I trust the "guage-chasers" in the crowd that can't do anything without bathroom scales, calculators, FM's, M & O Manuals, etc., now get the point. "Feel" and "know" the a/c that you are flying because that a/c will tell you many things that aren't on any guage or in any FM......and they're "expert" at finding-out which guages are full of bullsh*t. If one can't do that, then I hate to see the state that their own vehicle is in.

Yeah,, great idea !!

Rip out all the guages and instruments, save a few Kg on the AUM and just assess the serviceability using and old fashioned twitchy arsehole Mk1, top idea !

shame somebody has gone to all the trouble of designing glass cockpits, from the way some people are replying to this thread, it seems that all technology is a black art not to be trusted.

Total over-reaction to what I stated and you know it. The guages are put there for a good reason and I use them also because I also was born at night, but NOT last night. If the ONLY way that you can tell if your a/c is performing properly is by looking at the guages, then you need all the luck that I can wish you.......and I do. Other than an IFR approach, I do not need a VSI to tell me when I'm descending too fast because my *** and my eyes will tell me that. If not, then I don't know this a/c and I better take it slow and easy in all departements until I can understand what she's saying. Whether it's a "glass cockpit" or any other kind of a cockpit has nothing to do with what I speaking to.

So then, for all the young up and coming pilots of the future, who have been trained to look at and interpret what their guages tell them,

at what point in your career do you feel it is safe to ignore guages and instruments because expertise/complacency has taken over and a Mk1 arse-hole is a better measuring tool?

The original post was about AUM and exceeding these levels, why does it seem so hard or wrong even to calculate the weight of the cab and all the gear that has/is going in to it?

There are plenty of simple method of calculating current AUM and if you put anything into the cab, re-calculate the new W+M.

What is so wrong with using technology to assess serviceability, Jeez CAP, are you trying to tell me that youwould rather go back to the "Good old days" of blade tracking using a paint brush dipped in french chalk and stuck on the end of a broom handle, or doing vibro checks by simply putting a pen on a bit of paper and calculating the data by using a Mk1 Arse-hole on the pilots seat?

How often does your areshole get calibrated, do you take into account thick wooly winter long johns and a lambs wool seat cover and re-calculate when in the summer and wearing a leather thong?

It may be the era of a "compensation culture", but at the end of the day, are you really happy explaining to somebodies widow/widower that an accident occurred because you felt it unecessary to fly the aircraft the way you were taught because you have managed to train your arshole to do all this for you.

I guess this is where the term "Flying by the seat of your pants" comes from.

Good luck and safe flying,

Awwh come on! Am I the only smart *** left on this forum? That's no good!

I did notice and was wondering where the heck you been! What's wrong with you, d'you discover religion or somethin? No wonder this place has become so boring lately!

I can't even find anything to scrap with TQN about!

You could become one with the Borg and be assimilated. That always seems to annoy the crap out of everybody and send all into a lather of self rightous fury.

Self rightous fury that by the way is irrelevant. Because you will ALL become blah blah blabbity blah blah blah.

I.......................................................... CAN'T .............................................................. RESIST ......................................................................

..................... THE ......................................................................

..................................... BORG .................................................................. IS .................................... HYPNOTIZING ....................................... ME ....................................... AAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH! .................. ALL IS LOST ...................................... ! :o

Edited by Skidz

Awwh come on! Am I the only smart *** left on this forum? That's no good!...

...I can't even find anything to scrap with TQN about!

So here I am, just mindin' me own beeswax and readin' right along and hey! :P Looks like you've got 1 of 7 back to scrap with, JB! And I see yer reply's already been edited! Dang...did I miss a good, classic one? :D Geez, Skidoo...lemme atleast read JB's temper tantrums before ya get the big eraser out! :blur:

Mac-Ex-wafu -------do you have a "reading comprehension problem?". It would appear by your replies that you do. At NO TIME have I suggested or stated that one should ignore your guages.........and I've also re-checked my syntax in that regard also. I'm obviously talking a "foreign language" to you and you have deciphered this from my posts:

1) I'm advocating disgregarding one's guages altogether,

2) That I'm suggesting that we should go back to tracking blades with a pole, some rubber hose and a dab of something on the hose to track blades with.

I was trained to read the guages properly, take what they are telling me about the a/c and fly it properly. I was also trained that when the controls FEEL "mushy" in my hands when flying a F/W, that maybe that "arsehole" you are referring to is telling me that I'm about to stall-out and maybe I should glance over at the G.D. airpeed. At that point, one will quickly find out how much their "arsehole" needs re-calibration......with or without longjohns or lambswool seat covers. As the hours and experience build-up on that a/c you'll also find out that what the manufacturers sell to you for guages is decidedly less reliable than that thing you are sitting on. That does not therefore mean that you ignore those guages, but they are similar to a GPS in that regard.......they are JUST another aide to navigation and shouldn't be relied on totally. More than once I've grounded an a/c because my ***, experience and the "a/c talking to me" said that the torgue guage was "full of it". Many times I'd also find out that the a/c had a reputation of being "a dog" and yet power-checks said all was okay.

"Feel" and letting the "a/c talk to them" is also employed by good medium engineers and feeling the rudder pedals in flight or the cyclic tells them many things. They do the same on the ground "feeling the stabs" for any vibrations. Holding a pen/pencil between the thumb and forefinger with your hand resting on your knee may be "old-fashioned" to you but tells many a good engineer many things that he'd like to know about the "track" of the M/R blades. THAT sir, is one of a host of ways that a pilot or engineer let's the "a/c talk to them" and to suggest to an engineer that any of those need "calibration" would not necessarily be a smart thing to do with the "grizzled" ones.

Calculate your load to your heart's content if you wish, but be prepared to explain to a myraid of customers why you took an excessive amount of time to pick-up their clients in the bush somewhere. ***** at them all you want about there not being time to weigh each passenger or use bathroom scales at that location in the bush or the time to do it to determine weights exactly. You want the "ideal world" and that would be nice for all of us, but I deal with the "real world" and if I have a one-time-only pick-up on the bottom end of Prince Patrick Island in the Arctic and demand to weigh those pasengers and equipment before take-off to get exact weights, I can also plan on it definitely being a one-time-pick-up for ME. That does not mean that I don't know when that a/c is over-gross and I'll know that before my G.D. skids are 6" off the ground also........because my "chariot" is "talking" to me and telling me so. If my guages don't agree, then I become suspicious and due note is taken of it for the engineer's ears upon my arrival. Have I been wrong?......yeah a very few times I have been........but I've ended-up on the conservative side on those occasions and the a/c still won in the deal. I'm like that most times because I know the stupid buggar that's going to fly it again tomorrow morning........ME.........and ME has no death wish.

Again, read the guages because that's the bloody reason they were put there, BUT don't rely on them TOTALLY........use the three senses that God gave you also........and your medical will tell you when those need "re-calibration".

I won't "beat this to death" again because if you dont understand what I'm saying or my meaning by now, then all I'm doing is boring the **** out of a whole lot of people here who know exactly what I'm speaking to and have used it for eons and you don't need to wait for 20,000 hours to roll around to acquire it either.