Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Cougar Incident Offshore

in my opinion, as long as the pilots followed their proceedures, then who cares what the passengers thought. nobody wins in either case. Land on the rig with OEI and they'd all ***** their lives we needlessly put in danger.

but be realistic, you guys would applaud them no matter the outcome either. even if they ditched, you'd all be patting them on the back for a great ditch. thats about as close to this whole industry will get to grouping together.

I would assume the engine problem was very specific and they weren't concerned about the second stove puking on the way home, but there is always the chance it would. An 80 minute pucker factor risk that paid off this time.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Engine failed and crew returned to base as per company SOP and whether it was on one engine or five makes no difference.........they undoubtedly acted as they were trained to do and obeyed company SOP.

2) IF they did not do as their company SOP dictated, then their problems continued after shut-down of that remaining engine. The passengers so-called concerns stopped at THAT point.

3) UNLESS one or more of the passengers was R/W IFR endorced, with off-shore experience, then sit down, strap your *** into the seat and shut-up because the crew on the flightdeck don't tell you (nor would it tolerated) how to do your job with drill pipe.

The aircrew did as they undoubtedly were trained/paid by company to do, no dead bodies or lost a/c and it will undoubtedly happen again somewhere, some time, some place.

Congratulations guys and God willing, that'll be the first time and the last time for YOU two. It's part of the "job description" and so is the griping sometimes from the back seats........and you've heard that before too. Again------GREAT job. :up: :up:

Congratulations are in order for the crew! They pulled it off. Company SOPs paid off for them (and the passengers) this time. I think they did the right thing.

Since I occasionally fly the S92's ******* sister and understand the systems the aircraft is based on (at least that's what I think ;-) ), I can only say that they did the right thing.

This whole thread brings up another issue which hasn't been discussed yet, which has to do with company SOPs and whether we follow them or not in an emergency. I don't wish this topic to turn into a management beating, so bear with me and keep an open mind.

(As a side-note: in situations such as this one, does the company award you by following the printed SOP or will you be "unofficially" punished for being a wuss and calling the book on management?)

I'll be the first to admit that there is a dual-standard and a sub-culture within the official company culture of the company I work for that would internally (off the books, on the QT, behind closed doors, you get the picture) discipline the pilot for not "completing the mission and delivering the pax" instead of returning to terra-firma and doing the right thing.

The short version of what I'm trying to say is: In real day-to-day life, do you get awarded for playing it by the book or do you get awarded for getting the job done? As a pilot, (taking a step back and looking at the big picture) which scenario do you prefer to be involved in? Does it jive with company culture?

Remeber, keep an open mind and PLEASE don't immediately flame!

as350_b3, when it comes down to saving your life and those on board your a/c. there is no choice, you do what needs to be done whether you followed SOP or used your skills to keep from killing yourself and your pax as long as you could walk away then you did your job.

**** the consequeces of the job, if all are alive, then you did your job.

"The short version of what I'm trying to say is: In real day-to-day life, do you get awarded for playing it by the book or do you get awarded for getting the job done? As a pilot, (taking a step back and looking at the big picture) which scenario do you prefer to be involved in? Does it jive with company culture?"

I've worked for operators where "follow the rules, but get the job done" and turning a blind eye to bending rules to get the job done was par for the course, but that was some 15 to 20 years ago and I had hoped that mentallity was long gone. Everyone I've worked for in the past 15 to 20, especially the IFR market, safety is paramount and any bending of the rules, either TC regs, AFM or company SOP's, is delt with and won't be tolerated. It's the way it should be and it takes a ton of pressure off us as pilots. If the company doesn't stand behind it's own rules, I'd be quickly heading for the door.

In an emergency situation though, SOP's and regs are guidelines, and pilots can and should exercise their best judgement to take the safest course of action. Once everyone is on the ground and safe, perhaps the SOPs could stand a review, which is generally the case after any incident. Basically the SOPs nor regs can cover every concievable situation, and hence your judgment comes into play.

I'm speaking in generalities here in reference to the quoted question, I don't know the details of this specific incident and wouldn't dream of commenting on their actions unless I was one of the drivers in the seat.

Cudos to the Cougar crews. :up:

Bladestrike ------stand-up and take a bow sir. I've seldom seen that much common sense and great attitude written for all to see. No matter what any "newbies" out there are flying........take note.......you'll seldom get better advice on what it takes to be a "Pro".

If you land on the rig OEI , they inspect and find the engine is US , can you take off again at low weight single engine ? ( I know the machine is capable) but are you allowed to by regs and SOP ( i think 2 working engines are Min equip). Does the platform have 2 helidecks ?. Do they keep the tools necessary for an engine change on the rig ?