Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Need Your Help...

Cole

Ok, so I have been seriously looking into ways to save up for helicopter training. Since nocking off relatives is out of the question, I was wondering what would be a good way to save up 50-60 grand quickly. I know the pinch every penny thing, but was wondering what jobs could be done with no prior education and make money quickly

This is my list so far, in no particular order.

Jobs at a mill (they all seem to go pretty quickly, and pay a fair wage)

Crane opperator (I have an in here, good money, however to drive one on the road in BC you need to be 19, and I was hoping to be flying by then.)

Oil riggin' (have some friends that do this, they claim to be making some serious coin, and I was thinking about it, but was discouraged by some other people)

Various construction jobs (im already certified to drive pretty much anything with forks. and will bang nails, or paint fences if thats what it takes.)

Anything more, or care to elaborate on why I should(nt) do certain jobs?

Really looking for advice here, this will decide how fast I get to be an unemployed door pounding machine.

Cole B)

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Save as much as you can between now and when you plan to start training. Get a family member to co-sign for a LOC for the remainder. Banks seem to hand out LOCs far easier than they give loans, plus you can take your sweet time paying back a LOC. That's a big plus when you're living on belly-button lint and rain water. :up:

Head for the oil patch....thats what i did...couple of years of pinchin your pennys an youll b there. builds character...an....makes you appreciate your seat when you do start flying....everytime i fly by a rig i look down an think "man have i got a great job"....usually puts a smile on my face(for about 5 minutes...then its back too the usual pilot winning an complaining...ha ha)

seriously though...there is quick money to be made in the patch as long as you dont blow it on booze, boats, bikes, trucks or women.

HW, what kinda cash are we talking about. If I can make the same here, or only slightly less, I would rather stay in the Okanagan. I dont think that I need to look down on someone to say I have a good job. I look up all day here thinking they (206's everywhere) have such a fun job.

Ryan, LOC's look like the way to go. Looks like I have a co-signer aswell. I think if its possible I will go train the fall after highschool (use the summer to hoard in cash as fast as possible). Looks like I will start training when Im 17, and finish just after that, followed by kissing some serious ***, and finding a job.

I think this sounds like a good plan, and if something goes wrong after, I will head to the patch and pay it off quick. I know this is contrary to my plan, but I know that thier is money to be maid, and will try to keep the LOC to a minimum. I think doing my ppl was a bit of a mistake from a financial point of view. But hey, I get to be in the sky whenever I can afford it, and love it.

Cole :punk:

You should be thinking ahead too. If you go to the patch and get some experience in that area while saving the hard earned cash, you've just put yourself head and shoulders above any other 100 hour wonder that shows up at a place like Airborne. What sounds better to the OPS Manager, "Hi I'm an 18 year old 100 hour commercial helicopter pilot" or " Hi I'm a 20 year old 100 hour commercial helicopter pilot with two years working rigs with the following certifications in the oil and gas industry....". It's not a question of if you want it bad enough, it's whether you're willing to forego it for the short term to increase your probability of success in the long term. B)

I agree, you fully need industry experience to put yourself ahead of the other up and comers. Look into operating. I'm a female and I worked as a "first-aid attendant" out of Fort St.John. I saved, not earned, $10,000 in one sacraficed winter. That's 1 out of our 4 seasons. It gave me camp, oil and gas and guy dominated industry experience. It'll make you a good worker, which you need to be too. Also, you might want to get a little older, then they will pick you up more likely.

Good Luck

Guest bag swinnger

I agree with rotor gypsy, get into gas plant operating. not only will you make the money to pay for your course, its also the best way to get flying once you have your licence. any one with operating experience and a hundred hours will get flying long before some one with out operating experience.

Hi Cole,

I know this is hard to do when you want to fly but have you thought of getting another qualification before you do your licence like bagswinger and Rotor gypsy said ?? Just thinking that with age on your side you could get fully qualified and make money in building,fitter welder, aircraft enginer etc...so if it is a bit a bit quiet on the flying front or off season you can make lots of $$$$$ using your other skill. Also if something happens to your medical you are already trained up :up: I was actually given that advice when I was 19 but didn't listen, ha ha but kinda wish I had a few times :unsure:

Good luck with it all TT

:) Cole....BS and TT are giving sound advice. The helicopter industry will always be here waiting for you. You come across as very wise for your years.....build on that. Build a foundation that you can always fall back on, the unexpected turns in life can steer us in directions we did not plan for. Make as much money as you can, invest some of that wisely, and persue your dreams without taking on debt. I know this does not sound exciting, but if you put your mind to it, you will accomplish your goal(s) sooner than you thought possible........Cheers H56 :up: