Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Flight Pay

MD500

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bullet Remington

MD500:

Last time I worked for a company outa NWT with those machines, the daily rate was $200.00 per day and $25.00 per diem.

Since I was doing 300 hour Inspection in the hangar i wasn't getting flight pay. I only did the one tour with them for that reason. The rates were too low. They were a good place to work though, they left ya alone as long as you were doing ya job, and the hanar was new, clean and well lighted.

Down in Cowtown, while working those machines on seismic, I got $350.00 a day, 50.00 a day per deiums, $27.00 hour flight pay, $200.00 signing bonus for a 100 and 200 hour inspection completion/sign off and $500.00 for the 300 hour Inspection completion/sign off.

They also paid for the insulated coveralls, as well as provided new calibrated torque wrenches, hats, and boots etc.

Did have to wait awhile for the cheques to come in, anmd always had tio be after the accountant to ensure that the money was enroute.

That company ran into some finacial difficulties after they ran off the CP, who was basically the guy that ran the company, got the jobs, and looked after the people.

Chief Engineer there was a bit oif a dork, first thing he said to me when I was hired by the CP was that if I ran afoul of Transport, I'd best not expect him to back me up!

So when the chief pilot walked away, so did I. I don't even know if they are in business still or not!

The rates may have changed, I don't know, I've had enough of the helicopter business crap, that the only way I'd go back was a Chief Wrench Bender!

Make sure you check with everybody you can, including pilots. Not all operator's will short ya, but there are some other that will use ya and abuse ya if you're willing to let them.

Good Luck with whatever ya do! And remember, it's your time, and experience that they require. You'll only get from them what you feel you are worth! If ya don't keep moving!

Working on permanent basis, your yearly stipend should amount to at least 75K including benefits.

Do not go for the incentive of flight pay, can put you in a compromising position.

Your salary should be XXXX and the only incentive should be away from base allowance, $50/day meal allowance when not provide and the full cost of reasonable accommodation, when not provided. Full cost of transportation upon rotation.

Cheers, Don

Your salary should be XXXX and the only incentive should be away from base allowance,

I think you're in the ball park with your yearly salary figure Blackmac and I know of a few companies that pay upwards of $80000 year for good crews.

However, I'm not sure about the no incentinve thing. What happens if it's a really slow year and the operator flies 1/4 or his normal yearly hours. The crews will be paid top dollar for sitting on their *** all summer (the lack of work is obviously not their fault) but getting 60k that year instead of their normal 75k might make the difference between getting laid off that winter and keeping their job through the winter. Maybe it's too extreme a scenario to use as an example. I don't f***ing know anymore! :wacko:

Guest Bullet Remington

Jetbox:

I agree that Mac is in the ballpark, but I believe its a little on the low side. I'm working planks now, along with 8 other ex-fling wing engineers. We are all making OVEr 75 K per year! And home every night.

I also agree with your postion Re: a slow year. Personally, I preferred to work contract when i worked fling wing. 1) I had a heck of alot more tax write-offs. 2) If I didn't feel like working, I didn't 3) My pay was directly proportional to my expended engery. The more I worked, the more I got paid. 4) I prefer the Base pay with incentives approach. Basically, the last three years I worked Fling Wing as a contract engineer, I paid for the hanger. And it was a deal more that 85K.

Basically, I suppose, the salary and incentives would be up to the individual. But you know what I'd chose. The employer had a slow year..guess who's the first to go anyways!! The contract guy! And that's fine with me, it just business.