Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Need School Names In Calgary

Ocean Paddler

I'm looking at moving to Calgary in July and I'm looking for Helicopter schools in Calgary and so far I've only been able to find Great Slave Helicopters. They seem to be a good school but fairly expensive due to only using Turbine for training. Not living in Calgary yet it's a little tough to find schools, at least I haven't been able to find any others on the internet yet.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking at moving to Calgary in July and I'm looking for Helicopter schools in Calgary and so far I've only been able to find Great Slave Helicopters. They seem to be a good school but fairly expensive due to only using Turbine for training. Not living in Calgary yet it's a little tough to find schools, at least I haven't been able to find any others on the internet yet.

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Bighorn are at Springbank if memory serves... They are a very reputable school.

http://www.bighornhelicopters.com/

It may not be in Calgary, but I would be inclined to check out RotorWorks Inc in Whitecourt Alberta. Its owned by Jim Hofland, training is in the R22 and his hangar is right next door to Airborne(Aerial Recon) and Highland Helicopters and Taiga Helicopters. From what I hear, a lot of Jim's guys take on work with Airborne in the oil/gas industry... check out the link....

http://www.rotorworks.com

• 2 weeks later...

When I trained I got the chance to fly with Jim Hoffland. He was doing his instructor rating. At the time he was the cheif pilot for ariel recon. I strongly recomenned that you at least talk to Jim, even though he's in whitecourt and I don't know much about his new school its been about four years since I flew out of the whitecourt base. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone that knows more about the 22 and 44 than Jim also one of the most skilled pilots I've ever flown with, Good luck whereever you go :up:

MH B)

When I trained I got the chance to fly with Jim Hoffland. He was doing his instructor rating. At the time he was the cheif pilot for ariel recon. I strongly recomenned that you at least talk to Jim, even though he's in whitecourt and I don't know much about his new school its been about four years since I flew out of the whitecourt base. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone that knows more about the 22 and 44 than Jim also one of the most skilled pilots I've ever flown with, Good luck whereever you go :up:

MH B)

i agree...havent seen him in years though. and airborne is great place to get your start.

mtnhopper- did you get my hello in the heli ops(job postings...good to see) thread?