Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Need School Names In Calgary

Ocean Paddler

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I dont wantt to start a huge debate on training, piston Vs Turbine BUT. If one theoretically had the money to go to GSHL at springbank, would it be worth it.

Their website said that they have chopped thier training down to 4 or 5 per year so as to POSSIBALY hire all students.

So hypothetically if I had the money to train with them, and had a really good shot at a job, should I do it?

Again, its just another idea, but I think that it may be worth doing should I have the money (dont ask how Im getting it).

I personnaly think that it would be totally worth it if it meant getting a seat quickly... It is only 81,700 by what I can tell, and many people pay more than that for their cars.

Cole :punk:

Ok, I dont wantt to start a huge debate on training, piston Vs Turbine BUT. If one theoretically had the money to go to GSHL at springbank, would it be worth it.

Their website said that they have chopped thier training down to 4 or 5 per year so as to POSSIBALY hire all students.

So hypothetically if I had the money to train with them, and had a really good shot at a job, should I do it?

Again, its just another idea, but I think that it may be worth doing should I have the money (dont ask how Im getting it).

I personnaly think that it would be totally worth it if it meant getting a seat quickly... It is only 81,700 by what I can tell, and many people pay more than that for their cars.

COLE, from what I hear it would be money well spent. With a good attitude and work ethic, odds are you'd be in luck. How many new pilots that trained at other schools come through their door looking for work? lots. How many new pilots come in looking to do a turbine endorsement, in hopes of getting a job? lots. Last May they hired 7 students. Of course there are no guarantees. Do your research.

This is what I kinda wanted to hear I suppose. Thier site said that they had reduced the number of students they will train per year in order to hire most if not all of thier students.

I am gonig to fire off an email to them tonight and ask some questions.

other then that, I have always wanted to train on a Jetbox, but never thought it plauseable. It seems that has changed now and I think this is the way to go. I have some connections that think I could make the money I am going to need quite quickly.

Sounds like its could be fall/winter of 08 :up:

For now, Im going to sit back and enjoy whay I can, and blow some cash that I can get back from selling all of it if needed.

Anyone hear how long their lowtimers spend befor they hit the flight line... I heard from someone that it was VERY quick, Im talking months not years. Someone iven said after they were done they were supposed to ferry the aircraft back to wherever for the summer.

I will give you more info about the job when I find it out.

With a smaller class size (2-4 students), the hope is that we will be able to hire the entire class if the individual students meet our standards for proficiency and attitude.

:up: Anyone who thinks I dont have the right attitude hasnt posted so far.

Cole

• 2 weeks later...

OK. Just got an email back from GSH, Im sold... The person I talked to was quite open and frank about the situation I would be in, including my age, and seemed quite enthusiastic about my future training. He wasnt soft selling anything at all (something I find to be a good quality in a school) and also mentioned they only take who they feel meet their standards to begin with.

This is what I look for in a school, integrity, good people, and well maintained machines. GSH has all of that and then some (from what I can see) and hires a fair amount of their students (some haha)

Cole B)

Um... didnt you pay for your training in Canada?

I am not planning to fly in the states and would just as soon not have to jump through all the hoops to train down there. Cheaper it may be, but what about all the stuff you have to do to get to be a student down there, then the rest of the crap to be able to fly... followed by having to convert back to CHPL (not a chance in **** am I staying down there for the rest of my career)

I have weighed this choice befor, and it came back to training in Canada, hands down.

I have (tenatively... stuff changes) chosen GHSL to train at because:

-206 for not that much more money. So what if I have to pay off my loan for a long time.

-Good people. From what I can tell

-Well maintained AC

-The POSSIBLE oppertunity to work for them after I graduate. They, and others, feel that I have the attitude to pull it off.

-The fact that they are the second largest opperator in Canada, therefor there is a vast room to try many different things, in many different helicopters.

-Finnally, the fact that they seem to have very good priorites and integrity. This includes but is not limited to the fact that they are training students to work for them. SOME students do not succeed for various and obvious reasons. It will be interesting to see the actual stats on what they hire this year. Last year they hired 9, 7 from last year, and 2 from the previous. To me this is very promising.

It isnt that hard to get a loan/LOC for the remainder of the money needed. Provided I work towards it correctly and keep my patience focused. It is in fact, only $80,000

I am sorry that you feel one has to go to the states to get the biggest bang for their buck. From what I have read and heard Canadian training is far superior to what is available elsewhere.

Cole B)

Hey Col, you do what you want.................and no, i did not pay for my training in canada. I have a FAA License too, and oh yes, it was free. 80k$.........man, i'd have ifr, vfr, night rating, instructor rating, and 300 hours in the states. It's ok, your young. You'll learn. Have fun training. :D

I didnt mean any offence... I was simply saying that in order to go the us route it would take me more time then doing it in Canada. I also have no plans to fly in the US for quite a while, so an FAA lisence isnt something that would benefit me right now. Im sure that route worked well for you, but its not my thing.

The 80 large is only ONE option, I have looked into many other schools, and figure this is the fastest way into a seat. (10 months is fast)

I am not the kind of person that sees money as a big issue. I live around people that are totally fixed on what they make, and it stresses them out to the point they have to give up dreams. If I get to that point, kill me.

Im not sure what you were getting at with the whole "With $80,000 I could..." thing, its not the same. I could spend $80000 and be a lawyer, but thats not what I love to do. REF: "If I had a million dollars"- Bare naked ladies

Granted the FAA lis. would be a good thing to have. IFR, and VFRN ratings are almost useless until I have more time any way.

Cole B)