Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Specific School Information - Ontario

Fatal

Hi all,

Do any of you have any information/opinions on either of the these two schools in Ontario, just north of Toronto?

I have been in touch with both but would like to see what some of you guys in the industry think.

1. http://www.silverlineheli.com/default2.asp

2. http://www.nationalhelicopters.com/

Thanks for any information/opinions/ or even advice you might be able to give me.

Might also want to check out Gateway Helicopters, though they may be too far north for your liking. Heard good things about them.

Speaking of Gateway... is the younger of the Sullivan brothers still there? Heard he left and started his own company. :unsure:

Thanks Ryan, but Gateway is a bit far away from me, I live in downtown Toronto.

Also I am planning on getting my license on a part time basis, as I need the money I earn in IT to pay for my training.

(p.s. I loved reading your thread covering your training Ryan, it was a really entertaining read, and inspires me even more to reach my goal of becoming a heli-pilot)

If you're going to train in Trawna, you might want to check out CHL's school at Buttonville Airport...

Thanks Skidz, I've been in touch with them and they do seem good, but they don't cater for people who can only train on a part-time basis.

Thanks though.

p.s. I loved reading your thread covering your training Ryan, it was a really entertaining read, and inspires me even more to reach my goal of becoming a heli-pilot

Thanks! I'd keep a diary here too about my exploits as a rampie... but watching paint dry probably has more appeal. :lol:

Fatal,

I completed my IFR with Silverline and I enjoyed training with them.

Currently doing my night rating with them.

I have no experience with National, but the Schweizer 300 - operated by Silverline - fits my size a little better.

If you haven't done so already, go to the schools and see if you can get a "mini course" or a check flight and see what your gut feeling tells you.

Sven

Thanks to everyone that replied or PMed, I got some good information, now to put it to use ;)

Sven what do you mean by "fits my size better"? I am 6'2" and about 180 - 185 lbs, that's not a problem right?

I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs. When I went for a flight in a R22 (I was evaluating schools like you) it was a tight fit with the instructor at 5'11" and around 180 lbs.

The Schweizer has more room inside. This is also a bigger issue in the winter with big coats.

But I recommend going for a flight in each one (this will probably cost you around $100 - $150) and evaluate the room inside the cabin for yourself.

Good Luck.

Sven