Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Longline Brushup...

Unless you do a detailed weight and balance calculation, how can you tell if you are ten percent under gross?
This was answered quite well by T Tail.

If you insist on underloading your machine, you will have problems with the customer. You may be run off the job. I have seen it happen. They will argue that they are paying for 100% and in fact they will not be satisfied unless you give them 110%.

How do you know if it is "underloaded" or "overloaded" by hooking loads on the ground? Have you weighed them? Are you judging by how we are able to pick it up? Can you feel the wind on your face and tell the difference? Can you tell by the vibration in the long line? How dooooo you do it? :blur:

Unless it is a really light load and everyone knows it, you won't be able to tell the difference when I pick up loads that vary by as much as 500 lbs. They all come off the ground the same. Only difference is some take 100%, some only take 90%. :oops:

I will give the customer the best value for his dollar, as long as he doesn't want to continually overload me. If he does, we'll have to talk. If he is consistently underweight, we'll talk as well.

There are lots of drivers that can pick more than me. Maybe ability, maybe the machine, maybe the fuel on board, maybe the blades, maybe the empty weight, maybe the abuse, maybe a lot of things.

2 different machines will lift it differently.

So unless you personally weigh it, don't make any comments about what we lift.

Oh, and not everyone is out to screw you... :boff:

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

of course engineers can tell if the pilot takes off over gross or over torques. :wacko:

i had one tell me (many years ago) i overtorqued because he could HEAR it!!! yes it was a heavy load but since I and not HE had done the W&B i knew i was within limits.... ;)

of course this was back in the day when that guy was drinking a 26er a day... :blink:

so steve76, the flight manual has charts, do your w&b and for the first few lifts give yourself a little buffer. good luck.

for the record, that engineer has past on. RIP! :(

• 1 month later...

Hey Steve!

I told you there was nothing better then Montreal girls.

If you come in the Montreal area, give me a shout Mate! You will be a very welcome guess in my place.

I think we've got some catch up to do.

Cheers!

YLhelico ;)

I think this post has, for the most part, been quite helpful.

I haven't much longline time and certainly appreciate ANY points to make my life a bit easier when my head is out that door.

Thanks for bringing up this post, Steve76.

• 3 weeks later...

Steve 76...we talked a few times...pm me and I'll give you the details...

Astar longline advice...the tailrotor is very strong...if you are calm with the cyclic...you can steer with the collective...

think about the translating tendency of the helicopter and use it to your advantage....it takes some practice and some patience...someone told me ...and I didn't get it for the longest time, but one day..it came clear..small left and right adjustments are better made with the collective rather than cyclic...

watch the posts on this one