Helmet Upgrade

Norm

I have a real nice SPH-4 helmet I would like to start wearing more while flying. The problem is that after about 1/2 hour the thing drives me wild. My forehead starts to ache and the top of my head hurts as well. My heads diameter is right on the border line for the sph-4 type helmet. I contacted flighthelmet.com about the TPL liner upgrade. They have them in stock the liner a new foam insert and directions for $89.00 US I believe. Flight helmet also said that I may have to take out some bubble wrap to make it fit better. I am concerned that I will buy the upgrade and it will not fix the comfort and fitting problem.

Have any of you upgraded your helmets and found it improved comfort and fitting.

Thanks Dan

I have a real nice SPH-4 helmet I would like to start wearing more while flying. The problem is that after about 1/2 hour the thing drives me wild. My forehead starts to ache and the top of my head hurts as well. My heads diameter is right on the border line for the sph-4 type helmet. I contacted flighthelmet.com about the TPL liner upgrade. They have them in stock the liner a new foam insert and directions for $89.00 US I believe. Flight helmet also said that I may have to take out some bubble wrap to make it fit better. I am concerned that I will buy the upgrade and it will not fix the comfort and fitting problem.

Have any of you upgraded your helmets and found it improved comfort and fitting.

Thanks Dan

Dan,

If you buy the TPL kit, and follow the instructions to the letter, you'll find it'll fit you like a glove. You'll need a helper to do it right. And yes, if you have a large noggin, you may have to remove some TPL layers. That's the way it's designed. Oh, one other thing, get your hair cut to the length you like before you do the fitting...

Ok this zeta liner looks pretty good, I am unsure of of what thickness I would require. I am also curious how it fits into the helmet. Do you just pull out the old strapping minus the earcup assembley and stick in the zeta over the origional hard foam liner. I have included a picture of my helmets current inner setup for a reference.

thanks for all this help guys

Yes, you're on the right track,

follow these links, it's really easy...

more detailed instructions are sent with the kit

Even if you can't afford the ear-cups etc, you MUST get the SoftSkin™

Ear Seal Covers.

The zeta liner and ear covers are easily removed and hand-washed every few weeks, they'll dry overnight.

http://www.oregonaero.com/p76_2001.html

http://www.oregonaero.com/p7372_2001.html#zetaliner