Close Call

Huffy

I dont think the guy was over gross weight, The R-44 almost always lands toes first it isnt that often it touchs down level and almost never lands on its heels.

I would stick with what 412 driver said about being taught forward cyclic on landing. The thing is he continued that input once he touched down.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont think the guy was over gross weight, The R-44 almost always lands toes first it isnt that often it touchs down level and almost never lands on its heels.

I would stick with what 412 driver said about being taught forward cyclic on landing. The thing is he continued that input once he touched down.

I've only got about 30 hours on type, but I've flown it solo, and with four beefy people and everything in between, and I've never had a toes first landing... :huh:

I weigh a smidgin over 200 myself, and solo, with about 75% fuel, the toes get about 6 inches off the ground before the heels come up...

Skidz, Once I started thinking about it, You are right it will come up toes first, I just had to rack the brain a bit, most of my flying in the R44 was done with 3 people onboard and almost always had a toes first landing when you get a bunch of weight in it, it does hang nose low. It has been about 7 yrs since I got in one, But I do remember alot of the time landing toes first, dont ask why maybe it was set up different. In the video if you watch it closely he is going to touch down toes first, I dont know if he has anybody else in there with him but by the way he departs doesnt look like he is to heavy.

hey firehawk & skids. Yepers, you are right. The 44 will touch down toes first with full fuel and just you. With two or three people and full fuel ( well, you would be over gross), you stand a chance of hitting the aft cyclic travel end if you are not careful. It is impossable to see how many people are in that ship, but I venture to say he/she was at least full fuel for that porfile..I have had two people plus myself and 3/4 tanks, three people plus myself and half-3/4's (mabey more) onboard... in the low hover, she hangs nose low. Of couse, I was never over gross... :blink: