Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Satelite Tracking Requirements (forestry)

We've used the system in the offshore sector for a while now. It really cuts down on the radio chatter, quite a few options to the operation of the unit including an emegency switch giving faster reporting times. A company based in Penticton monitor our flights and it is able to be veiwed with online software from anywhere around the world.

RH

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Penticton? What company is this? Sounds more like they are useing it for safety rather than using it to spy on you.

Many truckers felt intruded on when they got the truck nanny. I would think that its not the case in the helicopter ind. (When was the last time a helicopter stopped at a timmy's?)

Cole B)

Penticton? What company is this? Sounds more like they are useing it for safety rather than using it to spy on you.

Many truckers felt intruded on when they got the truck nanny. I would think that its not the case in the helicopter ind. (When was the last time a helicopter stopped at a timmy's?)

Cole B)

Methinks some pilots aren't going to be able to bring their pax on fishing sidetrips anymore... ;)

Pull the breaker :D:D

Yeah. I can just picture it:

407D brings a couple of the boys to his favorite fishing hole and pulls the breaker. Next thing he knows, he's got the neighbor's B2 hovering overhead, talking to forestry "It's all ok ma'am, they haven't crashed, they're just fishing..." :lol::lol::P

anyone know if its possible to go online somewhere and see the aircraft being tracked? we ran these last year too, we had to mount in on the top of the dash in the 206, kinda awkard to mount, its like 10"x8" or somthing like that and thin with four plastic tabs for screws, where were you guys mounting them?

Heres a thought... pull it befor you head out to the fishing hole?

So really, did people used to be able to ride along during reccy's?... Ive been in a 206 on a reccy once with Peter from Penticton, but he told the center we were onboard (me my mom, and birddog 1 in osoyoos 03). However my mom was working security for them during the day and my uncle at night.

That was what made my so far crappy summer. (Imagine being a helicopter fanatic and your parents calling you at a crappy cadet camp to tell you that there is helicopters EVERYWHERE)

But if I can get in on reccy's this summer there is beer in it for the pilot :)

Cole B)

I'm actually rep-ping and selling these devices for a company (Ottawa) that came up with an improved design (smaller and lighter) and its not $5/hr its considerably less. Many heli companies are using this model. Should you wish to have more info, you'll have to drop Biggs a line .

Biggs

This is from the Alta Gov email:

> ON a SIDE NOTE:

> During conversations between BCFS and AB-FPD it was pointed out that the

> BCFS considering/wants the capability/ability of tracking systems to

> transmit the reporting frequency every 120 seconds, and GPS position

> intervals of 30 seconds being report.

Is anyone aware of the cost to report in this time frame? Sat systems are about $1.50 per minute aprox . If the dial up and hang up times are what I have seen how would the sytem dial up and report every 30 seconds without ever disconecting? If this is the case $5.00 per hour Alt gov will pay sounds low?

any input?

anybody have any actaul operating costs?

This type of system sounds great but at what balance of cost to who?

Alt gov offer is to pay $5.00 per hour billed seperate from flight time

think about the cost to track this and bill it out?

all air time is cost of the operator

think about controlling who wanted to call ?

The a/c that have them this year will be hired first

don't get me wrong I think it is a great Idea and would want one in any machine I'm in,but the cost should not be 100% of the operator with out some upside.

Am I missing something here?