Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Satelite Tracking Requirements (forestry)

This is from the Alta Gov email:

> ON a SIDE NOTE:

> During conversations between BCFS and AB-FPD it was pointed out that the

> BCFS considering/wants the capability/ability of tracking systems to

> transmit the reporting frequency every 120 seconds, and GPS position

> intervals of 30 seconds being report.

Is anyone aware of the cost to report in this time frame? Sat systems are about $1.50 per minute aprox . If the dial up and hang up times are what I have seen how would the sytem dial up and report every 30 seconds without ever disconecting? If this is the case $5.00 per hour Alt gov will pay sounds low?

any input?

anybody have any actaul operating costs?

This type of system sounds great but at what balance of cost to who?

Alt gov offer is to pay $5.00 per hour billed seperate from flight time

think about the cost to track this and bill it out?

all air time is cost of the operator

think about controlling who wanted to call ?

The a/c that have them this year will be hired first

don't get me wrong I think it is a great Idea and would want one in any machine I'm in,but the cost should not be 100% of the operator with out some upside.

Am I missing something here?

These satellite tracking systems don't operate the same way as phones. They are usually leased on a flat per-month rate per unit. What costs extra is if you want added features such as bi-directional text messaging or voice calling capability. Those are usually billed per message or per minute on voice calls.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Get with the news skids... I been 16 for a few months now. That is true... I would need someone to get them the beer. But still, thats free beer for something that doesnt cost one any extra money.

Sat track systems are pretty nifty. I could definately see the ups to that one. and if the govt is willing to pay then no worries.

Cole B)

Well here we go.

What a pile of Bull!, It's bad enough that in Saskatchewan they are super anal about tracking time. I once got accused of padding the time casue I was taking the time after the start about 1 lousy minute more.

My advice to every pilot to go into the dispact guy at the end of the day and make sure everything friken matches. Sask are pricks especially if spraky boy gets on you case or doesn't like you for what ever reason. Pilots should take special attention in Saskatchewan - mostly a bunch of dummies looking for promotion through whining and at the expense of pilots, my advice stay clear of Sask!

It was friken unreal! I looked at Rocky the idiot and told him, Do you think I would jepordize a 50+ per year job rip off the Sask government for the sake of an extra 7.50 per day.

Well at least if they get these tracking things into all provinces eventually forestry will be telling us how much we fly in a day- what BS!!

:down:

Satelite tracking and FDR "snitch" boxes in more and more machines.... could the days of the cowboy heli pilot be drawing to an end? :up:

I sure agree about all the saftey benifits 100%, but what im wondering is cost! The initial cost per aircraft & operating, so far I found it does go through the sat phone sytem(sat phone comes with system) it uses the phone to transmit & the cost per call im not 100% sure but its the same as a call.

I dont think all this fishing , cowboy pilot stuff is a issue cause we are all professional & if forestry wants to burn time off & go site seeing they will just have to deal with that, we are there to do our jobs safely and as proficient as possible.

Thanks Cm

I once got accused of padding the time casue I was taking the time after the start about 1 lousy minute more.

My advice to every pilot to go into the dispact guy at the end of the day and make sure everything friken matches. Sask are pricks especially if spraky boy gets on you case or doesn't like you for what ever reason. Pilots should take special attention in Saskatchewan - mostly a bunch of dummies looking for promotion through whining and at the expense of pilots, my advice stay clear of Sask!

Gee Whiz Hurler,

Is there anything or anyplace that you haven't had a bad experience with??? :shock: :shock:

BC Forest service (Nelson Region) is currently using a computerized tracking system based on your radio call-in's. It will take all of your UP times and DOWN times as entered by the dispatcher, and give the Fire Center a good idea of what you have flown for that day. If your Flight Report and the tracking times are different...you'd better have a good explanation !

I'm actually rep-ping and selling these devices for a company (Ottawa) that came up with an improved design (smaller and lighter) and its not $5/hr its considerably less. Many heli companies are using this model. Should you wish to have more info, you'll have to drop Biggs a line .

Biggs

Biggs: Is this system a STC approved installation as called out in the ALTA GOV email ?