Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

'air One'

I think even Elvis would have to admit that the Horsemen's 120 has a lot more stuff on board than Edmonton's. Edmonton has the right machine for the job based on the equipment they're using. The Mounties bird has a lot, a lot, of stuff on it. I wonder if a lot of the items were additions after the initial order to Eurocopter was in place. I fly both brands, like them both. I'd still like to see an A119 in Police livery in Canada too.

Need the right machine, for the right job, at the right price. To be fair to the Manufacturer's, they need to know all the equipment going on board to sell the customer the right machine. :prop:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its my understanding that RCMP knew exactly what they were getting in the way of performance and they are well aware of any limitations. it fits their program, so why does anyone care. There are far more jetrangers/astars/212's etc out there yanking their guts out doing jobs they shouldn't be, so why the sudden concern over this particular case?

Cole,

Used B-2's (2000 with 1800 Hrs on it for example) go for $120000 under the cost of a new green B-2 from Eurocopter. And yes I have been directly involved in the purchase of 3 used and 2 new A-star over that last 2 years.

We looked high and low for used A-stars for months and months and if it wasn't for our good relationship with 2 US aviation brokers we would have never had a chance.

For you 407 lovers out there the seach is just as difficult.

This is for those who think the 120 is underpowered, buy a friging A-star. Why the **** would Eurocopter build the EC 120 to compete with a 350? :P

This is for those who think the 120 is underpowered, buy a friging A-star. Why the **** would Eurocopter build the EC 120 to compete with a 350?

This is a typical misconception about the 120. It wasn't designed to compete against the Astar (that would be pretty stupid wouldn't it? They're already building Astars!), it was built to compete against the 206. If it's used to do what it what it was designed to do, it does that just fine!

Thanks PT for actually taking the time to explain why I was wrong. :)

I didnt mean so much old as not new. Im not talking a 1970, more like a 2000+

An email I got really cleared it up some... They are going to run it loaded... nuf said... Not going to be used for heavy lifts (Dope on a rope etc) But rather sp, er survailance. :huh: And it isnt going to be hauling around alot of PAX, simply pilot/observer.

I thought the smaller lift of the AStars was built to compete with tthe 206? Guess im wrong again.

I would be **** glad to fly an EC120, or any RCMP helicopter for that matter. Mabey one day theyll have 407's.

Cole B)

This is one thing that crossed my mind... Why all new ac? why not 2 or 3 used Astars etc instead of one new 120?

Did they only get one 120? some have told me 2

Cole B)

Don't forget that's 2 - 3x the crew/maintenance/parking. Plus those old Astars would have to be equipt with all the police equiptment (which comes with a new 120). Also from what little I know about the 120 it's a much more spacious heli that requires a lot less maintenance than an Astar. The 120 is a lot less noise too. You might be supprised how many people complain about the noise from the calgary police MD600.

I meant that the photos were good.

I take it I am treading in shark infested watters.... I will GLADLY take pictures of any machine that I see. (like the 2 astars in the photo gallery)

To prove that, just take a look at the collection of photos of PMW I have. All good shots.

Just for my info, its not the man, its the company right? P.K. is a good guy, and is one of the reasons I became so interested in this industry.

Cole B)