Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Over/under Powered ?

Geeze Bullet - that ain't me that's Geoff. :wacko: Fashions don't change they just get recycled!

Geoff is living the goodlife in LA. :up: http://www.proheli.com

I ain't been that weight or height since I was 12!

Here is another photo Geoff sent of an iced up 47 blade - I will include his commentary as a lesson to us all.

"Blade icing on Bell 47 G4A CF-ZXT, January of 1976. I happened to time myself

from entering the ice fog, which rolled in behind me over camp when I was

out dropping off a crew, 3 minutes! When I landed back at camp on the lake

I could not move the helicopter to reposition, couldn't get enough RPM.

That's when I shut down and took this photo. It's not like I wanted to go

all the way back to camp, there was just no other place to land between camp

and crew drop off point.

post-144-1141030439_thumb.jpg

If you couldn't get the RPM and power to fly with the engine running imagine the scene if the donkey resigns!

Some photos of a 500C on floats and 47 C-FHEL on floats at Kenora during winter of 1973.

post-144-1141030519_thumb.jpg

post-144-1141030616_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Geoff for these photos

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sharkbait ------we must be referring to two different Geoff Palmer's because th one on the website is not the one I know unless some VERY "creative" resume-writing has taken place. Could be two people with the same names because there's more than me with the exact same name........like 12 others just in the local phone book alone.

Sharkbait,

Awesome man, thanks! lol, I knew it was a push/pull 'vernier' thingy :blink: I just wanted to see if anyone else knew :wacko: :up:

It doesn't look like much has changed in the 206's office over the years, just different placement or newer looking guages. I see there's no guard on the fuel valve, was that introduced following a few "Oops...that wasn't the anti-ice switch" incidents?

And I imagine that HF antenna was just a simple "Lets put it in and get going" task, before the days of STC's and wb amendments and whatnot...

Sharkbait ------we must be referring to two different Geoff Palmer's because th one on the website is not the one I know unless some VERY "creative" resume-writing has taken place. Could be two people with the same names because there's more than me with the exact same name........like 12 others just in the local phone book alone.

Don't know about the one you know; but that's the one I've known and respected as a great friend and pilot for 33 years. :up:

Geeze Bullet - that ain't me that's Geoff. :wacko: Fashions don't change they just get recycled!

Geoff is living the goodlife in LA. :up: http://www.proheli.com

I ain't been that weight or height since I was 12!

Here is another photo Geoff sent of an iced up 47 blade - I will include his commentary as a lesson to us all.

"Blade icing on Bell 47 G4A CF-ZXT, January of 1976. I happened to time myself

from entering the ice fog, which rolled in behind me over camp when I was

out dropping off a crew, 3 minutes! When I landed back at camp on the lake

I could not move the helicopter to reposition, couldn't get enough RPM.

That's when I shut down and took this photo. It's not like I wanted to go

all the way back to camp, there was just no other place to land between camp

and crew drop off point.

post-144-1141030439_thumb.jpg

If you couldn't get the RPM and power to fly with the engine running imagine the scene if the donkey resigns!

Some photos of a 500C on floats and 47 C-FHEL on floats at Kenora during winter of 1973.

post-144-1141030519_thumb.jpg

post-144-1141030616_thumb.jpg

Thanks to Geoff for these photos

"FHEL",I got my licence in that old bird back in 1981 in Fredericton. However some idiot ran out of fuel some months later and wrote it off. Back in the TQ days.

Man, those are some classic pictures. you guys are talking back in the 60's . Thats before I was born.. Today, I just feel that I got lucky that I had the chance to train on a BH47G2 .

Not to make you feel like aged wine or nothing, :groove: , but I must say that after seeing those pics I have more appreciation to how much of a classic the 47G2 really is. Post more pictures.

What will I show 35 years from now...?.. and then some pre-rookie is going to write ...wow what a classic that Astar.....

• 3 weeks later...

Going through this thread and seeing the pictures of the G-4A and 500C brings back memories. I don't remember Geof Palmer, but the name sounds familiar.

I was Base Mgr of Helair for Viking at the time, Pete Peterson had moved to Carleton Place at the time as part owner with Larry.

I posted a picture of myself flying Santa xmas of 73. I had brought the 500C in from Carleton Place to fly for inland waters doing river surveys to the north. The 500 was cheaper and faster and less of a headache to do the same circuit as the G4A.

For your added info this was also the home of Black Bart Stevenson, just a kid back then.

Cheers, Don