Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Over/under Powered ?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Geoff Palmer. I remember him fondly from the James Bay Daze. Spoke with him about a year ago and is still doing fine in L.A. He was going to hire one of my helis do do some filming in my back yard but it did not pan out. I flew with him from Matagamie to LG2 in a 206 and Im quite sure the reg was FKR. It was serial no. 17. It was an absolute piece of shite. When we got to LG2 Jim Masse took about an hour to go over the machine and promptly grounded it with about 20 some snages. At the time it was leased from Lavarondrie Helicopters I believe. Oh the good ole daze. Geoff and I were nearly booted out of the project for many reasons. I think one of them was our stash of booze we had hid out in the bush and brought a little bit in at a time to various camps and made some good money doing it. We really didnt think it was much of a problem seeing as how the chief pilot at the time for Heli Voyager was flying around the Bay area in a Cessna on floats and droping Dope of at isolated lakes and letting the pilots know where it was. O the good ol Daze... :shock:

Fly safe Mini...

FKR it was. May- June 1975 Remember they found that one of the blades had 6 or 8 coats of paint on it?

Dope and booze in Jimmy's Lagoon! :shock:

I am shocked! Shocked to hear that there were such things going on!

( incredibly incriminating expose about certain people now high up in this industry deleted )

I spent that summer in LG-4 and Lac Polaris ( Polaris University / Polaris Beach - we made T shirts).

I suspect that, if not covered in water, there are a lot of booze caches forgotten in cold trout streams or waiting on the top of some hills.

Round up the usual suspects!

I of course would never have broken any HYDRO / SEBJ Rules! Gawd there were a lot of them.

Remember Blake Smiley and his puppy dogs Clairmont Bouchard and Normand Guay? Who was that third guy - can't remeber his name - ex RCAF and ex-Fixed wing engineer - a true oxygen thief! Their day just wasn't complete until they had screwed someone. I heard that Clairmont now runs a Depanneur ( that is a 7-11 there TQN) in Quebec city - I carry a baseball bat and ski mask whenever I go to Quebec city just in case I am ever lucky enough to blunder into his store!

FKR it was. May- June 1975 Remember they found that one of the blades had 6 or 8 coats of paint on it?

Dope and booze in Jimmy's Lagoon! :shock:

I am shocked! Shocked to hear that there were such things going on!

( incredibly incriminating expose about certain people now high up in this industry deleted )

I spent that summer in LG-4 and Lac Polaris ( Polaris University / Polaris Beach - we made T shirts).

I suspect that, if not covered in water, there are a lot of booze caches forgotten in cold trout streams or waiting on the top of some hills.

Round up the usual suspects!

I of course would never have broken any HYDRO / SEBJ Rules! Gawd there were a lot of them.

Remember Blake Smiley and his puppy dogs Clairmont Bouchard and Normand Guay? Who was that third guy - can't remeber his name - ex RCAF and ex-Fixed wing engineer - a true oxygen thief! Their day just wasn't complete until they had screwed someone. I heard that Clairmont now runs a Depanneur ( that is a 7-11 there TQN) in Quebec city - I carry a baseball bat and ski mask whenever I go to Quebec city just in case I am ever lucky enough to blunder into his store!

Was his name Bob I forget his last name

All I remember was he was the airport manager in LG4 when after I grounded the 205 after a massive compressor stall he wouldn't let us have any rooms because we didn't have a reservation.

:shock: :shock:

Not sure it was Bob.

So your were told to Piste Off then?

Sounds like a normal LG-4 Day!

How many times would you arrive someplace and there were room resevations for the passengers but none for the crew - and no one who gave a hoot either.

Which 205?

No we got rooms after I promised that next time we had an engine problem we would call a day or two day ahead.

:shock: :shock:

As for which 205 it was One of the following OKQ,OKR,OKS or MQN I spent time on all of them in the "James Bay Daze"

:elvis:

Elvis --------thought you might be interested to know that the registration "MQN" now belongs to a 212 that's flying in Africa someplace......don't recall the where. That old girl and I go back to Haida Helicopter days and I stumbled upon a picture of the 212 on the internet and almost fell over when I saw the registration. I guess i should know or maybe I forgot that "MQN - the 205" is now gone to the "big hangar in the sky" sometime, someplace and somehow. I know the rest of those registrations well also and often wonder where they ended-up.

Elvis --------thought you might be interested to know that the registration "MQN" now belongs to a 212 that's flying in Africa someplace......don't recall the where. That old girl and I go back to Haida Helicopter days and I stumbled upon a picture of the 212 on the internet and almost fell over when I saw the registration. I guess i should know or maybe I forgot that "MQN - the 205" is now gone to the "big hangar in the sky" sometime, someplace and somehow. I know the rest of those registrations well also and often wonder where they ended-up.

I don't know abut that Cap according to the TC data base FMQN is still a 205 operated by Campbell helicopters

http://www.tc.gc.ca/aviation/activepages/c...e.asp?x_reset=Y

One more try.

Mark C-FMQN Serial No 30082

Common Name Bell Model 205A-1

Base Of Op. - Country CANADA

Base Of Op. - Province British Columbia

Base Of Op. - Location Abbotsford

File Location Vancouver Basis for Eligibility for Registration Type Certificate -

H1SW

Type of Registration Commercial

Category Helicopter Weight (Kgs) 4309

Manufacturer Bell Helicopter Company

Year of Manufacture 1969

Country of Manufacture U.S.A.

Owner Registration

Owner Registered Since 1987-07-07 Last Certificate of Registration Issued 1991-04-12

Engine Turbo Shaft Number of Engines 1

Owner Information

Name ( 1 of 1 ) Campbell Helicopters Ltd Mail Recipient Yes

Address Box 2008

City Abbotsford Province British Columbia

Postal Code V2T 3T8 Region Pacific

My, my.....isn't that interesting then? I know what I saw for certain and I even took note because it was a "CF-" and not a "C-" and DEFINITELY NOT a "G-".........that I checked carefully. Perhaps it's another aircraft like the Canadian registered 212 flying in Africa years ago that had single hydraulics and that MoT was terribly interested in :rolleyes: . They chased it around Central Africa for about 6 months and then they finally gave-up. :lol: