Night Rescue 442 Sqn/golden B.c.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are these machines not equipped with both auto pilots and stability systems? Is it not possihle for it to remain in a rock steady hover for as long as there is fuel in the tanks by engaging these systems? I believe the winch man, who has a bird's eye view of the line from his position in the door can adjust the position of the machine with his own control.

I don't know guys, I hate to say this but I don't consider his post as being disrespectull and unapreciative of the rescue crews.

I think he was just asking a question out of curiostiy.

Call me crazy!!

There is a flight control at the winch door, but the last Cormorant Captain I spoke to said the winch operators haven't been trained or there isn't the approval/procedures in place.

That was last year, it could be different now.

Just playin' Devil's Advocate. :)

Call me crazy!!

You're crazy, JB. (Not a dig at Mr. Moore.) :P

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think this rescue cost taxpayers????

A life hung in the balance and was saved. Does it matter at what price life? (Not a dig at you, either, Ichi!) ;)

Still sumptin' to be proud of. :up:

Ichimama, We had a hiker in our area that decided to go 17kms into the bush, Then eat a plant that he was unaware would just about kill him. They called me and our rescue crew but it was to late, 1/2 hour before grounding. The two big guys were called in out of comox and arrived about one hour after dark. They also used the night sun and the hoist and took this guy to saftey. They also, as on evey other rescue preformed flawlessly. My point is, these people go into the bush and make dumb decisions wich inturn puts the S.A.R crews at risk and also costs us tons of money. I also know that accidents do trully happen but it makes you wonder sometimes :huh:

My long drawn out 2cents

MH

The winch operator was fairly busy running the winch out to within 15' of the maximum cable length. He was giving verbal directions to the flight crew, so I doubt that he was controlling anything but the winch. I doubt that any auto-hover system was used in this case, the location was quite tight... down to their minumum rotor clearances (10'), plus the PNF took over from the PF immediately after the excersize.

Ichi, excellent question, but will only respond with another question...how much is a life worth? What about you? When you are laying in the woods in pain, are you worth 8 hours of Cormorant time?...I think that your family and friends think that you are :up:

The winch operator was fairly busy running the winch out to within 15' of the maximum cable length. He was giving verbal directions to the flight crew, so I doubt that he was controlling anything but the winch. I doubt that any auto-hover system was used in this case, the location was quite tight... down to their minumum rotor clearances (10'), plus the PNF took over from the PF immediately after the excersize.

Ichi, excellent question, but will only respond with another question...how much is a life worth? What about you? When you are laying in the woods in pain, are you worth 8 hours of Cormorant time?...I think that your family and friends think that you are :up:

407, I of all people know what it's like to be laying in pain (on Reflection lake) and fully support SAR. :)