Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Night Rescue 442 Sqn/golden B.c.

Heck Ichi, If I knew it was YOU, I'd have gathered up all your ex-girlfriends and flown by and let them shoot at you :D ...would have cost under $500 to end the entire scenario, (0.2 of 407 time and bullets ! ) :up: of course the gun registration fees would have brought the total to nearly Cormorant prices anyway though :blink::D (and to answer your last question ...110 large was the quoted figure)

Jay Flight, Exactly ! The crew were tickled about doing something like that at night in the Rockies. The winchman told me that it was THE most challenging hoist Op that he'd been involved in.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Outstanding job by the SAR boys! I don't think I've ever heard of a night, mountain, cliff-overhang sling-at-it's-limit rescue before. **** impresive!

Just imagine what they could do with new and better equipment! Cormorant is new....but not much else.

Hearing this news helps take the sting out of the poor play of our men's hockey team in Turin.

why even give you that first one free? Hopefully those who venture into the backcountry are aware of the dangers. What better way to ensure you take care than to have a multi thousand dollar bill for rescue services hovering over your head when you go.

I'm a bit leniant if you're hurt, but I've heard the stories where people have just been too tired to finish their hike, so they call in an emergency so they can get a ride back down. :down:

Here's what I propose, rescue everyone, no questions asked. but once down and safe, put the stretcher in the middle of a lions cage and let the lion out. If you can scramble free and avoid the lion eating you, then you weren't that hurt....pay the bill dumbass. Unfortunately, if the lion eats you, we'll never know for sure if you were just testing your luck, but boy, what an andrenaline rush. And one less lunatic to possibly rescue in the future. :up:

Maybe a more politically correct policy would be better served, such as the one in Missouri (I believe) with the local fire department. You have to be a member of the association if you want their protection. No pay=no fight the fire. Easy to implement and modify here. You buy a pass, much like a snowmobile trail pass and it ensures a speedy evacuation if need be. If the helicopter is hovering overhead and you can't show your pass, then tough luck, they fly away and your friends can drag you off the mountain.

I never have heard of the "one rescue" rule before, I doubt it exists, ...will check with the local SAR leaders and see if they know anything. I know a bunch of people in this town who have used up their one "free rescue" and none of them have told me that the next one is on them.

Parks Canada was moving to a User Pay system at one point about 10 years ago...for the silly rescues that you mentioned PT "( where people have just been too tired to finish their hike)" , but...it never came to be.

Some countries in Europe have "Rescue Insurance", pay your $25 Euros and you have a free pass for the year, works well !

It doesn't seem like $25 is enough for one year considering what one evac can cost. I believe that there should be a flat fee for any rescue, just like taking an ambulance ($500 I think, no matter what the Km's are). Like others have said before how much is your life worth? I think the flat fee should be $1000, which still wouldn't cover anything except the timmy ho's bill.

The way we work on the ski patrol is if you need to be evacuated from a closed trail or outside the "skiable domain" of the ski resort, then you get billed for the rescue. If memory serves, in most US national parks, if the area you get in trouble in is closed or out of bounds, you get the bill.

On the Great Lakes, if the Canadian Coast Guard rescues you because of a mishap of some sort, no cost. If they have to go out and save your arse 'cause you ignored a storm advisory, then they impound your boat until you pay up.

The common thread here is: Be an ***, pay the fee... :up: