Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Night Rescue 442 Sqn/golden B.c.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard the "1 resue rule" about north shore.

Someone said that now if you are outta bounds (on a ski hill) youre payin for every dime. However, the CF is free (tax payers take care of it) from what the recruiter said last week.

I saw said Cormorant and buffalo here in Penticton (assuming it was the same set.) The Cormorant was tied down on the tarmac, and the buffalo was flying.

Cole B)

I must assume the Canadian Forces send the best to BC because I've been involved with the boys out of Trenton on a few occasions and I would much rather have a civilian pilot come and get me if the need ever arrises. I don't mean any disrespect but most civilian pilots fly more in a month than the SAR guys do in a year. Also a lot of civilian longline pilots can thread a needle from 100 ft because they do it all the time. SAR pilots just don't.

I've often wondered why we don't put SAR out to tender to the private sector. Why do we need the military doing it, other countries don't. Imagine if we put an ex logging pilot and and an offshore IFR pilot together in the same machine, now your talking about some serious rescue capability. You could easily have a flight crew with a combined 20,000 plus hours instead of what we have now, which is probably about 4,000 hours between them, if they're lucky.

Anyway, I don't mean to take anything away from the rescue in Golden, sounds like a job well done.

QUOTE "Why do we need the military doing it"

....because they are the BEST. I don't think a civvy side company(s) could handle it. You talk of 20,000 hrs for the drivers....ok...what about when you get to the scene?...who's going out the door???? The CF SAR TECHS who are willing to jump out of Hercs/Buffs....winch out of Rants/Griffs(when needed) are the most highly trained personnel for that (dangerous) job. Those troops are absolutely fearless. And when I say a civvy side company couldn't do it, I mean they couldn't afford to have a machine, 2 drivers and a couple or 3 jumpers in the back sitting by and waiting.....how about pager standby much like companies do when they get a call for a medivac?.....nope...then they have to stop what they are doing, drop of what they're carrying...reconfigure for the mission, pick up the jumpers...etc...the CF has a budget for SAR, as small as it probably is....but they ARE the best at what they do!!!

Cheers

SS

Why do we need the military doing it, other countries don't.

In the U.S., the National Search and Rescue Supplement (NSS), prepared under the direction of the National Search and Rescue Committee (NSARC), provides guidance to federal agencies concerning implementation of the National Search and Rescue Plan (NSP)—which builds baseline established by the International Aeronautical and Maritime Search and Rescue (IAMSAR) Manual (published jointly by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and the International Maritime Organization (IMO) for use by all countries).

The NSS provides guidance to all federal forces, military and civilian, that support civil search and rescue (SAR) operations. Since no single U.S. organization has sufficient SAR resources to provide adequate SAR services, the NSP establishes the principle that SAR authorities should use "all available" resources, including federal, state, local, private and volunteer resources, to respond to persons and property in distress. All of which spun into motion most recently in the aftermath of last year’s devastating hurricanes.

Probably more than anyone wanted to know, but hey! Thar ya go!

QUOTE "Why do we need the military doing it"

....because they are the BEST. I don't think a civvy side company(s) could handle it. You talk of 20,000 hrs for the drivers....ok...what about when you get to the scene?...who's going out the door???? The CF SAR TECHS who are willing to jump out of Hercs/Buffs....winch out of Rants/Griffs(when needed) are the most highly trained personnel for that (dangerous) job. Those troops are absolutely fearless. And when I say a civvy side company couldn't do it, I mean they couldn't afford to have a machine, 2 drivers and a couple or 3 jumpers in the back sitting by and waiting.....how about pager standby much like companies do when they get a call for a medivac?.....nope...then they have to stop what they are doing, drop of what they're carrying...reconfigure for the mission, pick up the jumpers...etc...the CF has a budget for SAR, as small as it probably is....but they ARE the best at what they do!!!

Cheers

SS

Who goes out the door?? retired SAR techs of course. Quite true that there is little if any civilian training for SAR techs. On the pilot side its an old argument and always comes down to an apple and oranges thing in the end to me. Neither one better. Just different to some degree.

I recently went in the SIM with a guy fresh out of a career in the US coastguard. Never flew civvy in his life.

And yet we were able to work together very well. Thats called CRM and its a good thing.

"I recently went in the SIM with a guy fresh out of a career in the US coastguard. Never flew civvy in his life.

And yet we were able to work together very well. Thats called CRM and its a good thing." QUOTE

"Duece bigalow / CRM " HMMM - interesting concept!

The mind boggles!

See you this evening - bring a flashlight - Nothing like some "Night Fright" and "Night Offshore Rig Approaches" to liven up a tour.

CRM at its worse:

"1 Mile - 250 feet 100KTS Landing checks complete except for floats" :mellow:

"3/4 Mile- 250 feet 90 Knots- slow down"

"1/2 Mile - 200 feet 90 Knots- slow down" :o

" 1/4 mile 200 Feet - 90Knots!!!!"

" 80 Knots" :shock:

" 75 Knots - Floats armed -15 Degrees nose up" :shock:

" Holy Cr*P" " Overshoot!" :wacko:

Turn! Pull! Nose on the horizon! :up:

" 98NG - 85 Torque - positive rate! "

" Positive Rate, 500 Feet, Post, Floats off, Gear Up, Clean green RPM 107- you got the beeps" :)

" Great Practise Overshoot there ace! Well done! Once my heart rate returns to normal would ya wanna try an actual landing next time??" B)

THUMP " Ouch! " THUMP " Ouch! "

The above is meant for entertainment purposes only and in no way reflects the procedures and practices endorsed or followed by any company or crew.