Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Night Rescue 442 Sqn/golden B.c.

just a question....

why not Military SAR techs, with civy pilots in a shinny new Commorant?

you get the 20,00 hrs flight crew, purpose built helicopter, tax-payer's dime, but you get to keep the guys that are willing to jump out of a perfectly good aircraft in the dark. ****, one civy Cpt, and a military co-jo to learn a few things?

just an idea

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the reason the military is the best right now is basically because they are the only ones doing that kind of thing in our country at the moment. One day maybe the government will tender it out, then some ex military guy will be hired by some company working on the tender, design a training program, train a bunch of civilians to do it and voila....we've got a civilian based search and rescue program that is top notch. A military Sar Tech wasn't born to jump out of an aircraft, he learned the skill somewhere.

Why do people think that nobody can do it except the military?

the reason the military is the best right now is basically because they are the only ones doing that kind of thing in our country at the moment. One day maybe the government will tender it out, then some ex military guy will be hired by some company working on the tender, design a training program, train a bunch of civilians to do it and voila....we've got a civilian based search and rescue program that is top notch. A military Sar Tech wasn't born to jump out of an aircraft, he learned the skill somewhere.

Why do people think that nobody can do it except the military?

isn't that what cougar did several years for F&O?? seems to me they had some ex-miltary sar techs in the back... why did that program go by the wayside??

VIH had a winch on a 212 BC RAP contract, didn't they?

On this latest rescue, we were fully prepared to go in with a 300' fixed line class D set-up with the Banff Park Wardens at first light (0720), but it was done 6 hours earlier using the Military because of the real threat of hypothermia taking this individuals life.

1. The costs to train a SAR tech is huge and I don't think the Civi industry is about to start footing this bill. I guess it will be left to the military for the time being, as it should.

2. THE CAF and the SARtechs get all my respect, and if one day I am dangling half dead on the side of a cliff waiting for a rescue, you bet that I want the best comming to my aid.

Good Job!

H

I don't know about the cougar thing. There in the east right? Anything east of ontario is a mystery to me. :rolleyes:

But I certainly wasn't alluding to the fact nobody else does rescues. I was meaning a dedicated SAR program.

Alpine and others do rescues all the time, and are set up for it, yet they don't have a crew on standby just waiting for the moment.

Maybe Alpine one day will add NVG's to their program and guys won't have to wait until first light for rescues.

When I was stuck up in the arctic several weeks after CHL's 212 crash in '95, we were well aware that SAR would be at least 11 hours before arrival (that's what it took them to help the 212 guys, its a long way from trenton)if we needed them and we basically knew that we were not in a great situation.

If the civilian world was to corner a contract for SAR I would hope that the bases were plentiful and located in areas where they would do the most. A C130 in trenton flying to the western artic is ridiculous at best.

Maybe the dream will one day be realised. Our militry is so taxed finacially and personel wise they can't do it all.

1. It would be hard to keep the high time guys current and precise on a line if they are sitting standby waiting for something to happen. (Practice Makes Perfect)

2. How many Civvy folks do you know regularly fly with NVG's?

3. We are a victim of our own complacentcy becaus most people are too **** lazy to think of the concequences of their actions when taking on a walk in the back country. In the old days if you were not prepared with the right equipment for the job you did not do it or you were not usually around to breed more idiots. (thow some times S@#T Happens)

Further more my helmet goes off to all SAR guys and every other contractor who puts on a NON JETISONABLE line and dangles some guy at the end with the intention of saving a life.

Cheers

SG

SG,

Class D lines ARE jettisonable. We use a 2 hook system, one standard aircraft belly hook, another hydraulic release hook installed beside the main hook.

I doubt that there is any reason for VR experience in these Military Hoisting Ops. The Cormorant is not even equipped with a VR window. The pilots just hover and take directions from the hoist operator.

The only civie NVG show that I know of is the STARS BK-117 in CYYC.

Rather than use the harsh term "not usually around to breed more idiots", I use the more socially acceptable term of "Natural Selection". :D