Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

School Help!

NOVA

Ok, So I have been concidering becoming a heli pilot for some time now. I have a passion for flying and am now in the position to act on it. I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations on heli schools in the states (or Canada [are the "FAA" regulations are the same?]).

Any advice would be truly appreciated :)

Thanks, NOVA

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, So I have been concidering becoming a heli pilot for some time now. I have a passion for flying and am now in the position to act on it. I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations on heli schools in the states (or Canada [are the "FAA" regulations are the same?]).

Any advice would be truly appreciated :)

Thanks, NOVA

nova,

The regs are different, in the us you will need 150 hrs that will be taught by a low time pilot. In Canada you will require 100 hrs and will be taught by a 10,000 hr pilot. The mountains by southern BC are best for a more advanced course. You should give me a call and I will answer any questions you have.

Good Luck in your search

Rob Wood

CFI

premierhelicoptertraining.com

Yea right!!!!!! Don't believe everything you read. I was taught in Canada by a low timer, when i got my US License, I finally learned something by a 10,000 hour pilot, low timers are in both systems man.

No offence,

The Canadian training system is far superior to the american one. Our standard for licesing is higher with fewer hours required.

I do not mean to sound arrogant, but I do believe Canada produces the best hockey players, beer, and heli pilots. oh ya and are girls are hotter. :boff:

CHEERS

Well. Volition knows my position on american training. One might think that we can pick our school here, therefor we can pick one that doesnt have LT pilots as its staff.

SOMETIMES, lowtimers are good due to the fact that they just learned everything. That being said, they are still green, and wont want to let you control the aircraft as much. This is very evident to me right now in my FW training (just for fun).

Wherever you choose to train, look for these qualities:

-Integrity

-Honesty

-Experience

-Machine

Cost doesnt fit in. Many times schools are cheaper for a reason. The above are fairly obvious, but as Ive learned, many people dont take the time to find out what really goes on. (ie. people not having a clue and falling for a "good" sales pich {as in "we hire all our students all the time regardless" and one Ive heard from way to many schools "our helicopter is superior because..."})

Pick the machine you like, at a place you feel comfortable (geographically, as well as school wise).

Remember to get a few opinions on this as im not a RW pilot as of yet. Scratch that, get a second (and thrd, forth, fifth...) opinion on everything you hear.

The people here are experienced, and willing to help.

Now the floor goes to....

Cole B)

Yea, I agree with you cole. You have bad schools in canada, and bad ones in the states too. Rob, as far as best looking girls in Canada, i guess you have been in the bush too long. Canadian hockey(If that as anything to do with helicopters), finished about 8th place at the olympics. Let see here, 100 hours in Canada to get your license, 150 hours in usa. Mmmmmm, Oh! You can get your instructor rating right away in the states, so you can work. In Canada, you need 250 hours PIC to get your instructor rating. Therefore, your going to be a janitor for a few years trying to pay a 50k loan, which could have earned you an engineering degree. Don't get me wrong, i got my training in Canada, but it's so much cheaper in the states, not because of quality, because insurance here is crazy. I can built helicopter time after my license for 100$usd, here in Canada minimum 400$cdn for a little R22. I lived very close to the states, so i got my faa license so i could rent those helicopters for a cheaper price, so i can actually give some family members an experience. I just hate that everything is so much expensive in Canada, I guess i hate the government. :down:

I would agree with Volation. The best looking girls are not in Canada they are in Brazil.

As far as training goes ..The standards are higher in Canada and there are no jobs in canada for newbies! no one wants to hire a newbie.

You need minimum 500-1000 hours in a R-44 or a 206 to get hired. this is a fact.

If going into ground crew for a few years to prove yourself then I would say it is important to be with the right company. Question to self: will they actually do what they say since you get nothing in writing? That would be great if you can get an agreement in wiritng for newbies.

This is just the minimum before you get paid to fly a helicopter.

:angry: The Way to do it is get out there pick a school pay the money, Go around give out resumes. If you get a call our get lucky buy a visit then go for it. If not go back to what ever you came from. Moral (Quit bitchen grow some nuts and give it a try) We all did, either you got it our you dont't

MH

Wow, hockey... kinda off topic ya think :huh: If we must talk hockey and women in the same thread... Didnt the women get gold?

I digress. If you need to buy hours to get a job, you may want to refer to all the comments such as "attitude befor altitude" and "its 90% attitude, 10% flying ability". On the other hand, it would be nice to get the family up in a helicopter (one of the reasons Im doing my PPL(FW)).

Why bash the govt of Canada? Not their fault (entirely). I begin to wonder what the lt pilot to helicopter ratio the states has. I know that canada creates quite a surplus of pilots and many never make the cut. But what about the US. If you employ LT's to make more LT's doesnt that kinda make a never ending surplus? I mean, all of a sudden the vast majority of pilots become instructors or trainees, and then in order to do anything else, you need over 10,000 hours? I think that making people wait to fly is a good thing. This weeds out people who are in it for the money, and not really passionate about what they do.

As far as "bad schools" there is really no such thing in my opinion. There are instructors that are not up to par, or are not passionate about flying (sound firmilliar?) just trying to build hours.

Cole B)

Edit- MH, I agree with you totally. Getter done!