Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

School Help!

NOVA

Mnt Hopper , No need to preach, I am sure you realize the frustration there can be. There is however nothing that cannot be had with a little clever thinking, and hard nosed determination.

It is not always easy to maintain a positive attitude, one can only hope that MOST of the time its this way.

As for the women in Brazil, there are some nice ones but for every cuttie there are 1000 pigs.

As for schools, there are good ones and bad ones in both Canada and the US..

For the guy who asked the question, about where to go, The chap who just opened the new school would probably give you some pretty special attention , first cause he is new to it, and second because if he does you a good turn, you will probably go tell your buddies.

There are only 2 schools in BC that use the 47, **** I would go for the 47 if was doing it all over again , **** just to fly a piece of Aviation History again. Fly smart -Fly Bell.

Good luck

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no bad schools, well will ask Tc about that, you know nothing. I can give you a website, with a bunch of newbie jobs in the states. After your post, i feel you might want to "google" before you open your mouth, you know the internet. The fix wing is a way to go for family stuff too.

Hey Nova. If you are thinking about the Canadian or US licence, Chinook Helicopters in Abbotsford B.C. does the the training for both of them. If you want just one or both licences, they can help you out. To do the two licences they will help use your time wisely in the Canadian training to meet the standards for the FAA licence. Either way, certainly check them out before you do choose a school since they have an excellent reputation in the industry.

I knew of a few flyby night schools that burned a guy or 2, never got the hours in.. Instructor was a jerk etc. Good and bad is all relative, if you are happy at the school ( good), Not learning anything? (Bad)may be because the instructor is a great pilot but lousy teacher. It happens!

Fix wing is something that I plan on doing before hanging it up. Certainly if flyng is the love then a PPL fix wing licence is certainly a way you can get a good taste for a reasonable price. Then upgrade.

Making a living as a Helicopter Pilot in Canada is an experience all in its self, most guys I know, even logging pilots with 10,000 hours will tell you that the income from flying can be good, but not always steady, most also have alternate careers, like as building contrators, pipe fitters, electricians etc. The career guys make the same wages that a seasonal pilot can make fighting fire etc.

Getting a oil well operators certificate, would definately get you a seat in the oil patch where one could build hours.

H

"Hard nosed determination" Yes this is the definition of how I feel right now. Nothing can change my mind. I got to get more creative though.

It is tuff out there man!! No jobs out there for any new fish.

I met one guy and before I said, "hi my name is juan valdez" he looked at me and asked if I had 212 time . You know how much I wish I did !!?

By the way every single Chief and OP's manager I met so far took time out from their busy life for me. I thank you for that .

To drive around for two+ weeks at a time is $10 an hour of fuel in my car, hotels are not less than $70 a night.(sorry no motel 6 anywhere) I would sleep in my tent or my car... this is not the best idea this time of year.

It seems like no one is hiring any newbies.

I figure 1 newbie out of 2000 get hired. a surplus of fresh grads is what it looks like. or help from out of country to fill the vacume.

MTNhopper you say to me, "if your lucky", is this a lottery? I hope not.

what criterea are you looking for ? solid atitude and hard work? I have enough for 10 people .

I am not a rich kid that can afford to drive and stay in hotels. I am a solid candidate for the job thats working two jobs to make enough money to pay for my road trips. You been through it so u understand it.

I agree with hurler on the secound career thing, If you do get your ticket make sure you have something to fall back on. If not go for the pilot operator thing. I did and it helped me get my start. You make a **** of alot more money operating then you ever would flying. I had a couple good friends that were also pilot/operators and they make a killing. I chose to fly because thats where my heart was but its been an uphill battle that is now slowly paying off. Its your choice what you'll get here is 70% good advice and 30% bullsh*& :D , Sift carefully and good luck.

P.S did not mean to preach :unsure: :up:

MH

Volition, I think whatever "conflict" between you and me is that we have our definitions out of whack...

"bad" school- helicopters barely operable, staff frequently late, knowledge not being shared, iffy on the legal stuff.

I dont really believe there are bad schools, but bad instructors

"bad instructor"- One whom doesnt really care about teaching (ie. building time)

The real problem lies in the lack of education of guys starting out in the industry. I hear stories about guys selling houses to pay for all 206 time at 1000+ an hour. Or guys that CHOOSE these schools.

Cole B)

MH, pilot opperator being one who owns own ac?... or one that can say do pipeline work where they land?

Cole B)

HT

Where are you located in Canada?

A few phone calls to find out is the company is hiring, can be cheaper than driving, be straight and look for ground work, so the first year you may be driving drums of fuel around. The key is just to get into the industry, the license will come in to use when it happens. Major patients required. I'd be making my way to the Oil patch if I was starting out today.

Good luck

H

HT

Where are you located in Canada?

A few phone calls to find out is the company is hiring, can be cheaper than driving, be straight and look for ground work, so the first year you may be driving drums of fuel around. The key is just to get into the industry, the license will come in to use when it happens. Major patients required. I'd be making my way to the Oil patch if I was starting out today.

Good luck

H