Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Written Exam

Norm

Hey everyone,

I am planing on writing my exam in Halifax Wed. :down: provided they have an opening for me. I would like to know what to expect? A lot of people I have talked to have had write the exam two times at least. I am reading from the Culhane helicopter book to prepare myself, along with my notes from ground school.

I really can not afford (time wise) to write it twice so I have to pass it first shot. I would sure like to know what questions any of you may have been stumped on, or not have expected. I am fairly concerned about nav. charts like the WAC, and LO. As well do you guys have any tricks for remembering crew duty times? TC makes sure it is as confusing as it can get :blink: .

Thanks for the help, Daniel

your flight school should have you adequately prepared for the test.........

the #1 rule i tell my students just before they go in is:

RTFQ2

READ THE FREAKING QUESTION TWICE!!!!!! :up:

TC likes to have questions that the first possible answer "looks" obvious but is often the wrong one. so take your time............

Personnally, RTFQ6 !!!

Go through the exam once at the beginning answering the questions that you're absolutely certain about. Once you get those out of the way, move on to the harder ones that require more work.

Any question requiring calculations, do the reverse calculation once you're done to confirm your answers.

Any question you're stumped on, go by process of elimination to weed out the obvious wrong answers, then, if there is more than one possible answer left, flag the question and move on. Sometimes answering other questions will trigger a memory that will help you answer the tougher ones.

Be very careful about double-negatives in the question's formulation, and beware of your units and terminology (ie GS vs IAS vs CAS vs TAS and True vs Magnetic, True course vs True Heading vs True Track, etc.).

Remember, there are 4 modules: General Knowledge & Aeronautics, Air Law, Meteorology and Navigation. If you have at least 60% overall, but get below 60% in any single module, you'll only have to do a partial rewrite, which is a little less daunting than a full rewrite.

TAKE YOUR TIME. A lot of students rush through the exam, then get caught up second-guessing themselves with a lengthy review. Take the time to go through each question thoroughly. You have 3½ hours to write the exam. That's 210 minutes for 100 questions. Most of 'em will take you less than a minute each to answer...

Your FGSI (Friendly Ground School Instructor :D ) should've given you these references, but here they are again just in case:

TC Flight Crew Examination Page

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/general/exams/menu.htm

TC CPHEL Exam Guide (TP 2476)

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/general/...tp2476/Menu.htm

Good luck !!! :up:

Nothing to worry about. Get a good nights sleep the night previous to the exam. I wrote the entire exam in 45 minutes without any problems. RTFQ2 is a pretty solid plan and don't second guess yourself. A lot of the questions are easy. There's nothing else to the question, it's just easy! Don't look for hidden meanings or read too far into the question. Have Fun, it's your chance to prove that your hard work paid off.

Find you weaknesses and focus on those, don't sweat the stuff you know backwards and forwards. Know the duty times but don't worry too much about those... might see 3 questions at the most on them.

For the nav stuff, just take your time. If you get stuck, remember your E6B has quite a few "how to" instructions written right on it. And don't forget about the legend on the map. Use it. Everything about it will be found there.

The questions that threw me off the most were the Air Law ones. Not that I didn't know the answers, it was the question itself. You'll see a lot of questions with 2 or more right answers, and you have be positive you know what TC is really asking. Too bad we can't have a lawyer reading over our shoulder telling us in plain english what's being asked. But like the others said, read and then re-read as many times as it takes to know what's being asked. I even had to rewrite a few on scrap paper so I could understand it.

Hey maybe that can be another project for Phil! He did a great job with CARs in Plain English, so how about TC Exams in Plain English. ;)

all good avice ....

from myself,

-the night before your test get proper sleep and maybe go watch a movie or go to the gym.. If you dont know your stuff by now,, another night of studying wont help.

-eat healthy.

-bring a small snack with you, have it when your finished the test and then go over your answers to make sure you did not make any dumb mistakes.

3 hours is more time than you need to write it,, so, make sure to take the extra time you are given to check your answers.

Well I chose to do my written commerical exam today (Fri.) instead of Wed in Halifax. I passed, although I didn't do as well in the Met. and Nav. sections as I would have really liked. It feels great to finally be finishing up my license. I have to log 5 more hours of night and file for licensing and thats it.

Thanks for the help and tips along the way, Dan