Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Tool Bag Goodies

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The most Important item I can think of for camp would be my trusty shower nozzel.At the end of a ****** day a good shower can make you forget all the bad things that have gone wrong.The next piece of equipment to pack is a Leatherman(to change the ****** nozzle in the ****** **** hole that the wonderful company you work for thinks is adequate.)Happy trails for the summer to come Cheers

I use my Leatherman every day.

I would also suggest a plastic and rubber oil filter wrench (I think it is called a "Boa") to undo a contaminated refuelling filter.

Watercheck paste to find out if the fuel is contaminated in the first place.

Refuelling gloves to prevent your hands from getting drenched when you change the filters.

A lighter is good to have for not only starting a fire of contaminated fuel but also for thawing a frozen lock.

A camera to take a picture of the resulting inferno

I thought the lighter was to ensure a write-off of the ship after a small incident, resulting in a tremendous post-crash fire? Camera's purpose is still the same.....

If you're in camp, a sleeping bag. Some of the older camps have tempermental furnaces, and one wool blanket just doesn't cut it when the outside temp starts dropping.

An LED headlamp or small LED flashlight is a great thing to have any time you go into the field (regardless of the job). They are easy on batteries, the bulbs last longer than the casing on the light, and EVERYTHING is easier when you can see what you're doing.

If you happen to be driving the company truck, then don't leave home without booster cables, tire chains (they work for mud as well as snow), a tow strap, diesel fuel conditioner (or gas line antifreeze), and a shovel. And make sure that the spare tire is full.

On the topic of tire chains (since I mentioned them in the last post):

#1. Put them on at the shop. that way, you can make sure that they fit, and that you know how to do it (you'd be surprised at the number of trainees I get that have no idea what to do). :huh:

#2. Bring four bungee straps for each wheel that you may have to chain up. Makes a HUGE difference in that amount of slop in the chains, and thus a difference in the amount of body damage that chains can cause. :down:

#3. Some wire. Lets you tie the inside tag end to the rest of the inside chain, preventing it from ripping your brake lines to pieces. :shock:

Ok...I'll shut up now. :D

Bear in mind that camp food often sucks. Bring a bottle of hot sauce. If it doesn't enhance the flavour, at least it will kill the taste.

A few more things I forgot to mention about tire chains...

-Never, ever, EVER exceed 50 kph while chained up. EVER!

-Stop after you've drive about 1km to tighten up the chains.

-Keep each front window open (even if just a crack). Your ears will tell you what's going on with your chains.

-If a chain starts to come loose and smack something, stop. Right away. Otherwise, it can cause an incredible amount of damage in a matter of seconds.

-If conditions are really bad and you're going to chain up the front wheels, be very, very careful. Very few stock pickups have enough clearance in the front wheel wells to safely chain up.

Given that most vehicles in the field are now 4wd, and more and more people are investing in good tires, chaining up is not as common as it used to be. It can still make the difference between getting there slowly and beating your head against the steering wheel in the bottom of a creek bed...or worse.

At the end of a very long season fire fighting in the NWT, a fellow flying for an outfit in YXX, that no longer exists, pulled out a bottle of scotch that he had carried all that summer.

It impressed the **** out of me, but then again, I am easily impressed.

But, on the real side of life, I,ve always carried a leatherman, a couple of tie wraps, and granola bars.

One guy I worked with always flew with a jar of peanut butter, just in case AFS managed to forget about him.

Have a good, safe season!

Never leave home without head light, extra gaskets for fuel kit, tie straps, leatherman, wire coat hanger (lost a few stingers in drums) and in the winter nothing beats a collapsable shovel to dig out drums that you can't even see because the snow is so deep.

Also always have matches, water and a few snacks because you just never know!!