Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

School Advice Needed

Kyle

My 16 year old son is leaning towards the helicopter industry. I have sent him out on a quest for information but I figured I would try to help out as best I can.

His real desire is to fly, but that is not quite feasible yet unless he were to take a year off after highschool. He is extremely technically inclined however and he has always directed himself towards being an AME. I personally think it would be a great fit for him and he should do well. I am sure at some point, he will fly but the AME designation would give him some stability and something to fall back-on if ever needed.

Other than Canadore, is there any other Ontario-based schools for AME training? We will consider out of province as well if the school is highly recommended.

He is also considering the military route, but this would only be for flying if he got in. He is an Air Cadet and is going on Glider this summer and hopes to be on Power's next summer. He definitely has the discipline to get through if he got in I feel.

BTW - if any London-based companies are looking or a broom-pusher, he will probably be doing co-op next semester. Nothing like free labour ;)

hi kyle,

check us out on the internet: www.bchelicopters.com

then have him call bonny @ 604 850 7711

she can answer ALL his questions including student room and board accomodations available!

cheers,

412driver

aka rob dyck

Kyle:

If he' doing well in air cadets, then the military environment obviously doesn't turn him off. If he manages to get on with them as a pilot, that will get him through many of the low-time hurdles (and pay for his flight training too!)

Things may have changed a little since I was in, but the Royal Military college in Kingston is a potential route for someone his age to look at. The military pays all expenses during the four year degree program (Engineering, Maths, and most Liberal Arts are available). Academically it's a great school. Students are even paid a small salary (works out to about $100 a week after deductions and room and board charges are taken off).

In return, the military expects two things. #1 Hard work. RMC isn't easy by any means. In addition to the academics being very challenging, each student also has to successfully meet fitness requirements (tested every four months) and bilingualism requirements (tested semi-anually).

Accordingly, the standard academic program is supplemented by daily second language training, compulsory physical fitness activities (three to five times a week), drill "class" once or twice a week, and mandatory psychology classes (to aid with leadership training).

The other "payback" that the military asks for is five years of compulsory service as an officer (not counting the time spent at RMC). I believe that this ends up being six years if you're a pilot (they start counting once you reach squadron service).

In order to get in and succeed, your son should have an eye for each of these foundation elements prior to applying:

#1 Academic. He'll need to be on the honour roll to be competetive.

#2 Fitness. 1.5 mile run in 10:15, 30 pushups and 50 situps without a problem, and 7 chinups would be good.

#3 Bilingualism. Assuming the English is his mother tongue, he should take any and every high school French class that he can. Every extra bit of head start he can get is a benefit.

#4 Military. Cadets is a good start. Eight months or a year in the local Reserves would be even better. Even non-military activities that demonstrate leadership are helpful. Student council, volunteer work, team sports.

RMC can be bloody difficult to get into. I believe the total school population there is about 1200 - which means only 300 people are accepted each year. Also bear in mind that about 25% of the "accepted" applicants end up leaving the program in the first year if you include those who fail or quit during the Basic Officer Training Course, which is held in the summer between high school and the first academic year at RMC.

I also know that the military is subsidizing civilians to attend technical colleges (such as SAIT here in Alberta) to become avionics technicians. IIRC, they pay for the entire two year program, and require a three year service commitment once you graduate.

One thing to bear in mind (especially with RMC) is that once you embark down this road, you're commited. RMC represents a 9 or 10 year life choice. I've known a large number of individuals that failed in their attempt at Aircrew Selection, and ended up in non-flying trades. If at any time before he reaches squadron service his vision falls below 20/20, he would immediately be "remustered" into a non-pilot trade - but would still be required to complete the mandatory service.

Up until you complete your first year of schooling, you can resign from the forces. After that, you're required to repay the costs assciated with the schooling that you've recieved.

I'd be happy to answer any other questions that you or he may have.

Kyle,

I would think that as an AME/Pilot an owner /operator would hold said individual in high regard as he would be able to trouble shoot problems and sign off A/C. As well fly with an understanding of the machine and it's limits. This only saving the machine any unjust O/T's and the company any extra costs per rev hour and easier on the machine in general.

As for schooling , Canadore seems to be a little more Rotary based if you pick it in the second year as the individual teaching it is a well respected individual in the field!

Every one of us has pushed the broom but if you persist you will succeed.

It all depends on how "BAD" and how much we "ENJOY" what we strive to do and endure the hard and trying times when we say "Do I really want to do this to fly?"

Your son seems focused so,

"Have @ er" and enjoy

My 2$ worth. Been there done that !! Well worth it in the grand scheme of things.

All the best!

Cutter

Well, first of all. Congradulations to him for getting into glider. There is alot of devotion to the league to get that far. (next step {if not already done} is to make sure he has whatever car lisence that he can go for, you seem to support his flying, but if the glider base is away from home, do you want to drive him to and from every weekend?)

Rank... IF he can get to his WO1 (he will know what this means) befor he ages out, his application will be at the top of the pileat RMC, he will know drill, dress, and deportment up and down... AND he'll PROBABLY be able to command in both languages (your in ontario already so he might be at that point). If he makes it to WO theres no doubt in my mind that he can go wherever he wants in the military... I just got an email from a guy that started as a helicopter pilot on the Griffon, then seaking, then he thought he might want to try some jets, so he transfered over there, he thinks hes got a decent shot at getting in the snowbirds sometime to boot.

Cry of the wind (if your still lurking around here), any thoughts on cadets, you hung on for longer then I did.

Cole B)

Cole:

I hate to be a nay-sayer, but having been a WO1 in air cadets won't make up for shortcomings in other areas of his RMC application. Take it from someone that's been there...there are plenty of folks with cadet or reserve experience at RMC. There are also even more folks with exactly ZERO military experience.

The recruiters look at the whole package. RMC is looking to recruit the "best & brightest". You can be the best Air Cadet in all of Canada, but if you only managed a 70% average in your last year at high school, you won't stand a chance of getting into RMC, let alone keeping up with the academic demands.

I'd also suggest that anyone thinking that they are a drill, dress, and deportment god because of their cadets experience is in for a rude awakening when they get to RMC. RMC has their own dress manual - different from everything else in the CF. The standards for D&D are beyond high...they border on ridiculous at times. I've seen rulers and protractors used more than once during inspections there.

The "recruit term" at RMC is specifically designed to put a huge amount of stress on new cadets. Regardless of your past experience, nothing can truly prepare you for it. The best you can do is be physically fit and academically prepared (yes, you take university classes at the same time that you're suffering through all the physical activity, discipline, inspections, and various indignities of recruit term). I've seen the stresses of recruit term reduce more than one person to tears.

I'm not trying to discount the advantages of cadets (in hindsight, I wish that I had been able to join when I was younger). But I've seen far, far too many guys show up for training thinking that since they were the top dog at their cadet unit, they know it all. Being disabused of that notion can often be a painful process.

Thanks for the feedback. I know RMC would be the best of all worlds for him, however the marks are just not high enough unfortunately. He sits at about a 75% and could probably pull that off in his final year. He will definitely be applying to RMC though, we just do not have any expectations - probably the best way to look at it anyways since entry to RMC is so difficult.

I am sure he will get on Power's next summer and will be WOI the year after - unless he moves away for school.

The way it stands now, he will be applying for co-op next year and will hopefully get picked up by a local operation for some good grunt work although there are not too many helicopter operators here in London.

He will apply to RMC next yearand also the Forces as a pilot.

Along with this, he will apply to Canadore for the AME program and any other school that may be recommended here, including out of province.

Knowing Chris as I do, RMC may be too 'academic' for him. He has more of a 'hands-on' technical side to him. If he did get in, he could probably get through - but it is the getting in thing that will prove difficult I am sure.

This is why we think the AME route is the best way for him to start in the industry.