Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ntsb Wants Terrain Avoidance In Helicopters

I wonder how that will work? Apparently nobody told them that 80% of flights are within 500' of the ground. I am not familiar with the sytem..anyone know if it can be programed for various missions...ie skiing, drilling, crew moves..seems to me like the alarm would be sounding all the time

It makes sense for the offshore work...but not for utility missions.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys would be funny if I didn't think that you actually have no idea what you are talking about.

If you would be more specific about what "exactly" the terrain avoidance "requirement" is, someone might be able to help you out with some info.

It could be as simple as a Radio Altimeter with an adjustable setting and a little warning light or as big as a EGPWS.

You guys would be funny if I didn't think that you actually have no idea what you are talking about.

If you would be more specific about what "exactly" the terrain avoidance "requirement" is, someone might be able to help you out with some info.

It could be as simple as a Radio Altimeter with an adjustable setting and a little warning light or as big as a EGPWS.

Hmmm this is as much info as I know CheinRouge

"The National Transportation Safety Board today called on the Federal Aviation Administration to require all U.S.-registered turbine-powered helicopters certificated to carry at least 6 passengers to be equipped with a terrain awareness and warning system"

"If a terrain awareness and warning system had been installed aboard the accident helicopter, the system’s aural and visual warnings should have provided the flight crew with ample time to recognize that the helicopter was descending toward the water, initiate the necessary corrective actions, and recover from the descent."

"

So if you can get more out of that quote as to specifics I would love to hear it. I am not aware of the various systems for terrain avoidance thus my post and question.

It would make sense on a transport flight but for any other type mission it would seem to be more of a distraction than a benefit. I am quite sure they are not just requiring a radar alt.

Eagerly awaiting your response Oh Wise One

Plink

They'll be busy down south putting in the terrain clearance systems, and we get to put in tracking systems!!!!

Then I can watch on the www site our helicopter drop off the screen into the pond below!

Man, these guys must all figure we got nothing but money to spend !

Guest graunch1
They'll be busy down south putting in the terrain clearance systems, and we get to put in tracking systems!!!!

Then I can watch on the www site our helicopter drop off the screen into the pond below!

Man, these guys must all figure we got nothing but money to spend !

A RadAlt with the DH bug set at 100 or 150' will do everything you need to avoide hitting terra Firma or, in the Great White North, Ice vs clouds :unsure:

The article is not specific enough to be able to establish a "requirement", as I said earlier it could be a little fix or a big one.

I don't know why you guys are getting your shorts in a knot anyway. It certainly wouldn't hurt to have a Radio Altimeter (RadAlt) installed in your aircraft unless the assistance of an electronic aid offends your rugged individualism.

As for their usefulness in VFR OPs, when the aircraft I was flying was equipped, I found them useful, especially while longlining. It's just a matter of using what you have available to you to make your job as easy and safe as possible.