Handheld Radios

cheap tuesdays

Good afternoon, CT. I recently purchased a new Kenwood TK-2180 VHF FM as I was told by 3 different radio shops that they couldn't repair my old ICOM because, basically, it has been outlawed by Industry Canada simply because it is face progammable.

The Kenwood ain't cheap nor is it face programmable, but it holds 512 pre-programmed channels, seems fairly bomb-proof and has excellent range and output audio. I haven't done the drop-test yet but I was told by one of the shops mentioned above that they had one come in after being run-over by a "cat". Only damage was a crack in the window covering the LED display.

I use a ICOM F3g. No problems with it. It is not face progamable but I have the software and my laptop is usually near me to progam it in the field. The company I work for uses motorola JT1000, they work well. All have the programming keys attached but are listed at about $1800CDN.

The icom was less than $500.

I use a ICOM F3g. No problems with it. It is not face progamable but I have the software and my laptop is usually near me to progam it in the field.

I second the F3G.... but it is face programable. It isn't as easy as with a computer but it can be done, PM me if you want the instructions.

I use a Kenwood TK-270G.

It is reasonable to purchase, and reliable!

You do require the radio shop to open the programming 'gate' to allow field programming. Then require the field programming notes to enter freqs and tones!

By law, you are not able to reprogram a radio freq. unless you have an amature radio license!

• 2 weeks later...

depending on what freq range you want, i went ahead and bought an Icom IC-V8, amateur radio. Indestructable, weatherproof, excellent range. Seems anyone will sell em to you for about 150-200CDN. (Burnaby radio is good for em) but you have to pop the cover off the back and do a quick little mod (takes 2 minutes to do)

check out the mod here ---> http://www.phreak.org/radio/mods/icv8mod.zip

it opens up the TX/RX range to 136 – 174MHz, due to the expanded freq range you may want to invest in a better antenna to fully take advantage of its range.

I've got the Yaesu FT 60. Seems good so far. Same thing, though, I had to do a little mod to open up the freq. range.

Check out radioworld.ca That's where I got mine and they are quite reasonable.

They won't open up the bands for you as it is illegal and the warraty is void after you do that.

I would advise that unless you are using triple bands a lot, go with the simpler units. Less stuff to f*** up.

good luck