Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Coffee Breaks - Paid Or Unpaid ?

tooladdict

Just a quick question. Are people's 15 min coffee breaks paid or unpaid? That applies to both full time and contract. Hangar work only of course. Most companies expect us to stay longer than a regular 8 hour day to get the machine out the door on time, but when it comes to those 15 mins some companies are being a little cheap. Am I being cheap myself? For me it's a matter of principle. What do you guys think?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it depends on where you work. Are you in Canada?

I used to be an AUTO mechanic here in Texas, the labor laws require employers to give someone a 30 minute break per so many hours worked. This is often broken down to 15 in the A.M., and 15 in the P.M..

Are you being cheap? I guess that depends on how you feel about your job, and the company that you work for. I have worked for a few companies that I would have worked all night to help get a car out the door. Actually, I always enjoyed working late, and it seemed like I was able to get more done that way. Everyone was gone, no interuptions, just the radio and the airtools.

I'm pretty sure 30 min lunch breaks are on your own time but the 2 15 min. coffee breaks are paid for by the company, and are supposed to be every 2 hours or so. If your not getting them, I suggest leaving early to make up for it or just take them when you get a chance. If your working late to get a machine out, just bill for OT.

Coffee and Meal Breaks

Most jurisdictions in Canada (British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, the Northwest Territories, Nunavut, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Saskatchewan) provide that an employee is entitled to a meal break of at least one-half hour after each period of five consecutive hours of work. Similar provisions in Alberta allow eligible employees to take at least a one-half hour break during each shift in excess of five hours. Employees in Yukon are entitled to one half-hour break after five consecutive hours of work if they work ten hours or less on that day, or after six consecutive hours on a day where they work more than ten hours. The province of Newfoundland and Labrador awards to employees a meal break of one hour after five consecu­tive hours of work. Many jurisdictions provide that the meal break can be suspended during an emergency or unforeseeable event, and that employees may, in certain circums­tances, shorten or forego the meal break. In Ontario, an employee may agree to split a break in two periods totalling 30 minutes. Where necessary for medical reasons, employees in Saskatchewan are entitled to take a meal break at another time.

Employers are not normally required to pay employees for time spent on a meal break. However, in some jurisdictions, employees who are required to remain at their work station or to be available for work during a meal break must be paid for that period as if work was being performed.

Moreover, no legislation obliges an employer to provide coffee breaks to employees. However, if a coffee break is provided in Ontario, Quebec or Saskatchewan, employers must consider it as time worked.

From HRDC Site

See also: Matrix

OK I'll pipe in.

Is the base pay based on a straight amount and the flight hours pay is extra?

if so then it may be a different field.

being a salaried person myself working thru breaks/lunch is normal for the most part, if you're working on a clock sorta speak then you should receive paid breaks and unpaid lunches, along with paid late hour dinners if you are working extended hours (10+) don't know all of the CAN. laws/rules but most were listed here previously.

having worked in long hour jobs, fewer breaks was compensated with higher pay.

my 2 cents

• 2 weeks later...