Need Help With This Ame Stuff! Reaaalllll Bad!

shetechnic

hello!

This is my story.....I'll try to make it short.

I am currently in the military and in civi terms hold an M rating ( not sure what the difference between M1 and M2 is).........on the B412EP.

I want to be Miss shetechnic within the 6-8 months.

I am taking the ICS canada aircraft mechanics course ( as I understand the military course misses some things).

I have plenty of questions as to how it works on the civi side:

Is it that I take this basic course then do my apprentice and then take the exams?

I know that since I am already a qualified tech that it will take plenty time off my apprenticeship, I already have the apprentice 48 months of work........so will it just be the 6 months on civi aircraft to sign off my TC book?

Also.......the big question.........how hard is it to get a company to hire a person in the apprentice field?

I think I have other questions but cant think straight about it all at this moment.

If you have a helping hand to lend then please extend! thank you .

what I really sort of need is a step-by-step guide as to what I am supposed to do next and next and next. hahaha.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greets Shetechnic and welcome to the boards here.

Once you have completed the course you may take the exams whenever you feel ready. You will need to complete 6 months of civil aviation prior to being granted a licence.

I believe that you must complete all the exams within a year of starting them.

Alot of the courses you have taken should be already relevant. However for the type courses you have taken, you will need to find out if they are TC approved or not.

I would recommend that you call your region TC office. You want to speak to an aviation safety inspector in the Aircraft Maintenance and Manufacturing branch.

I am ex-military and went this route back in '95.

It won't be hard to find work as an apprentice, or as an engineer.

Feel free to PM me (my email should be in my profile here), if you need more info or just a sounding board.

Cheers,

RTR

LOL

Np TQ, I've been pretty busy the last while :)

Shetechnic, You in Cold Lake? I know quite a few there, It's one of my old stomping grounds :)

cheers,

RTR

Here Shetechnic, this link should get you headed in the right direction.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/civilaviation/maintenance/aarpb/menu.htm

Also, you can talk to any of the safety inspectors in Maintenance and Manufacturing at Transport Canada in Edmonton. Your region is the Prairie and Northern region btw.

Gordie Robinson is pretty knowledgeable, and a pretty good egg to boot!

cheers,

RTR

Guest Bullet Remington

SheTechni:

OK, firstly, anything TQN said about me and the ladies have been greatly exaggerated! TQN's still got a knot because of the Teddy Bear incident! :P (Ask her!)

RTR basically covered everything thus far about getting in touch with the Pink Palace in Edmonton. (Transport Canada). There are a couple of ways to get this in motion.

Firstly, get ahold of your UER and photocopy it! If you have copies of civie training courses, photocopy those as well. Get someone, preferable a Warn Tosser or above, you sign a statement that the copies of your UER files is an accurate reproduction of the original. If ya can't get a Warn Tosser or a MWO, one of those little snot nosed Left handeds will do.

Send that stuff to TC, or bring it in when you go, and get them to assess it. If you require more training, work exerience, the folks at Maintenance and Manufacturing will tell you.

Another thing to consider is, you have to have some formal RECOGNIZED training, acceptable to TC. A good way to get your foot in the door is by completing that International correspondence course. Cheap and you do it on your own time. You do have an advantage over some ex-mil people, the 412 is a civilian certified machine. I got approval to write the S61 exam because I was working on the Sea Pig.

Everytime you talk with Transport, record the time, date nd a brief list of what they said to you. trust me, this will work in your favour.

The exams aren't all that difficult, just maintain a sense of pur[pose and determination and you'll get through it. Although at times it'll feel like yer peeing on an electric fence! :shock:

CARs will be the hardest one, but you'll get through that too.

At this point I would recommend you concentrate on getting through the hoops of finding out just what TC wants to see. After that, is the easy part.

I haven't been at Cool Pool since 1988. Worked at #6 and # 7 hangers. AETE. If you're wrencbending on the 412, you must be in Base Flight?

Just for TQN, I gotta ask; So....you like Teddy Bears?? :lol::lol:

Feel free to post your questions here, or as RTR stated, PM's are just as well.

Good Luck to ya, what ever you decide to do! :up:

Referenece the International correspondence school course. Make sure BEFORE you spend the $$ on it, that it is still a TC approved course. This is important.

A quick call to TC in Edmonton should clear that up for you. There is an airworthiness notice out on this as well. Just gotta find it. (If I do I'll post it here).

cheers, and Good luck!

Keep in touch.

RTR

OK, firstly, anything TQN said about me and the ladies have been greatly exaggerated! TQN's still got a knot because of the Teddy Bear incident! :P (Ask her!)

Just for TQN, I gotta ask; So....you like Teddy Bears?? :lol::lol:

Don't answer that, Shetechni! :D:P:D And just for the record, Bullet—I said I wasn't into Teddy Bears but if'n I were, I woulda DEMANDED the biggest one! :punk: Too funny! Iz okay, SheTech. Their advice is solid—the best! Just gotta watch 'em on the peripheral slide. :D

Don't answer that, Shetechni! :D:P:D And just for the record, Bullet—I said I wasn't into Teddy Bears but if'n I were, I woulda DEMANDED the biggest one! :punk: Too funny! Iz okay, SheTech. Their advice is solid—the best! Just gotta watch 'em on the peripheral slide. :D

You guys are F-in hilarious!!

dont think I really want to know details of the teddy bears! LOL...........thanks a lot for alllllllllllllllll the information...........and the coooool pooooool is still NOT cool at alllllllllllll! except for the short summer , in which I love cold lake!

I have already ordered that course a few weeks ago and had already called TC about the course.......its good to go! thanks though.

I am worrying like crazy about those **** exams!! **** things! lol......... is there other books I should be picking up other than what the online course gives me?? to study from?

Guest Bullet Remington

Don't answer that, Shetechni! :D:P:D And just for the record, Bullet—I said I wasn't into Teddy Bears but if'n I were, I woulda DEMANDED the biggest one! :

TQN:

Heck, girl, if you were actually involved in that little incident, I would have insisted on the big un!! ;);) Just for the record, it wasn't TQN! Her heritsge is Franco-Canadian, NOT Brazilian!! :lol::lol:

You guys are F-in hilarious!!

SheTech:

Where i come from there's an old saying: If ya ain't handsome, ya better be funny"! And trust me, I ain't handsome, I can sour milk from two rooms away!

Yes, there is a set of books, I believe its published by Aviation Publishers International. It a great set of books and will give you everything you'll ever need to easily pass the exams. Transport's exam questions are all taken from those books.

I have alist out at the hanger. When I head out this weekend, I'll get the list of books for you as well as the title names and address.

Been many eons since I wrote the exams, but I do remeber that TC had a question that I screwed uo. Went back through the book to find the answer, I found the answer is a diagram on a half page of the book. Spend some time studing every week. Don't get in a rush to get to the exams until you've finished the particular module.

Then once ya start, ya gotta keep at it and get them all done within the time frame! However, TC MAY provide an extension if yoiu have agreat reason. I.E. Deployed out of country or province, etc!

Good Luck to you. And when you start out in the civie side, always remember, you have twoo eyes, two ears and one mouth. Learn to keep the pairs wide open, and the single one closed! You'll be working with some highly experienced field engineers. They don't really give a royal S%^t about the way the military did things!

Oh, and the most important thing, you gotta have fun!! Always take your job seriously, never yaself!! :up: :up: