Check Out Tc's Corporate Offenders List.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bullet Remington

Twinnie:

I doubt that the driver was aware that there were outstanding AD's on the machines. Most if not 99% of drivers never see the ADs and trust the Engineer to ensure they are complied with.

Further, transport rarely if ever sends a copy of ADs to the driver or Ops dept. They always send them to maintenance.

Its up to the pilot to ensure the aircraft meets the requirements for technical dispatch. The pilot and the PRM of an organization are the only ones that have the authority to ground an aircraft. Also its the Air Operators responsibilty to ensure the AWD's are complied with, not the AMO or AME. AWD's are issued to the registered owner of an aircraft but they are also available on-line at TC website.

Had a chat with the engineer. It was to do with a battery relocation and they were in compliance with the mod but a new AD came out and I gather much of it was N/A and what was needed to change was very minor. Mostly just not signed off. A young ex -fixed wing convert working there had a to-do with the owner and rrrrrrrring went the phone at TC.

As for the pilots responsibility - I believe TC requires all operators to have a list on each journey log page of what inspection/overhaul/AD is coming up. If the AMO/PRM has not kept on top of the recent ADs' is the pilot to know? To say it is the pilots responsibility and that there is a website in one sentence implies that you believe all pilots should be at the computer before every flight. It is my understanding that TC will chastise the AMO for not keeping up on the ADs' and go after the pilot only if he knowingly flies an "unservicable" helicopter.

Guest Bullet Remington
The pilot and the PRM of an organization are the only ones that have the authority to ground an aircraft. Also its the Air Operators responsibilty to ensure the AWD's are complied with, not the AMO or AME. AWD's are issued to the registered owner of an aircraft but they are also available on-line at TC website.

Amodao:

With reference to the pilot and the PRm being the ONLY person/s authorized to ground an aircraft, is this the policy as outlined in your company's OPS/MCM/MPM manual/s or are yoyu quoting CARs? If you are quoting CARs, I'd really appreciate you providing me with a reference on that.

Not sure what region you are in(Pacific, I assume??) but I have grounded aircraft belonging to several companies, including companies I have not been employed by.

You are correct in you statement re" Operators/ owners are responsible for compliance with AWD's. However, CARs clearly states that where an Operator OWNs it's own AMO, the PRM of the AMO shall also be the PRM of the Ops side (MCM). Therefore it becomes de facto the responsibility of the AMO/PRM to ensure the AWD's are complied with.

I am also aware that AWD's for MOST aircraft operated in Canada are listed on the TC website. I say most because I did at one time have a scuffle with TC in Winterpeg over a couple of Brazilian AWD's.

I lost the scuffle by the way, However, there was no recorded findings, in that I resolved the problem at the time of the finding.

I would encourage you, (and I'm not trying to be disparaging nor condescending here) to do an informal poll of your drivers, Ops manager and Chief pilot and ask them just what AWDs are applicable to the particular ships your company operates. Ask them how many are applicable, not applicable and why.

Betcha get more than a couple of blank looks! :wacko:

I think what amadao was alluding to, was that it is the final decision of the pilot that applies. An engineer can ground the aircraft, but a pilot can overrule him and elect to fly (dumb move I think)

But i hear you on asking pilots what AD's are out and applicable to their aircraft. I know of many pilots who were aware, becuase they cared, and many who didn't for whatever reason. What does that say?