Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Factory Courses

tweaker

I think they're cheaper than from the manufacturer. When I went on my A-Star course, there were a couple Austrians in the class, who found it was cheaper for them to fly to Canada, pay for hotels, rental car, etc., than take the Eurocopter factory course in France. Apparently it was 14,000 Euros or something like that, although maybe it's more a European thing for courses to be so expensive. The two Austrians seemed to think the course was similar in quality to other factory courses they took in Europe.

It depends on who is teaching the course, the instructor and his knowledge base makes a huge difference. Also helps knowing what training adds are there on site.

Generally to send someone to Bell in Texas would cost alot more money then sending them to say BCIT or Northern Lights for a type course for most operators. Some feel that courses offered at the schools cover the very basics and most people still don't know enough.

I have had courses from both, the manufacture and from the schools. I don't think there was a whole lot of difference for the difference in the price tag.

I have heard that some of the factory courses are tought to the slowest person. So if you are in a class with someone that doesn't speaks english it slows the class down alot.

Does anyone know if you worked in another country will they accept a TC approved course? if a type course is required.

My opinion is that a factory course teaches a very basic outline of the aircraft.

Taking the course elsewhere, like Northern Lights College, for instance, and the instructor will let you know what the problem areas are on the aircraft. Which areas are poorly designed and need extra care and attention.

You won't get that from the factory.

my a-star and 206 courses were both done at northern lights and they did teach about problems in the field and how to deal with them. my factory 500 course basically was a show and tell course.....here's the transmission, here's the rotor head...blah blah blah....

That of course is no indication of todays standards. Helidude can fill you in on the 120 course as he just took it. I've heard great reviews about how, and what Marc L. teaches, so you have to look at it from an instructors point of view...is it a job or is it a passion.

The factory Astar course is awesome. Marc L know those machines inside and out. He has worked on them in the field as well as at Eurocopter and other companies. He can tell you where all the weak points are and what to watch for. If he doesnt know something he will definitely find out for you. Dont mistake this factory course for the "show and tell" type. The 500 course on the other hand, sadly, leaves something to be desired, unfortunately i dont believe anyone else offers it. Its good as a intro to the 500, for someone who is just starting on them or occasionally works on them.