Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Rotary Vs Fixed

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know where I can find some stats on rotary wing crashes/incidents vs fixed wing? At the moment I am working on fixed wing and getting beat up by my fixed wing colleagues over how "dangerous" helicopters are.

I figure watching the autopilot take you to 35 000 ft and bring you back down 10 hours later doesn't really compare with helicopter operations.

Anyone's opinion or story on this subject would be most welcome.

Thanks,

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep. thatll do it.

Doin my FW PPL right now, all the commercial guys think im crazy for wanting to be a RW Pilot.

although, I did have a 220' landing the other day, almost vertical :up:

Cole B)

I read a safety column the other day by Nick Lappos, I think it was in Heliops magazine that sums this F/W vs R/W up perfectly. Good luck finding it on the web though, a quick search turned up nothing. If someone can find Nicks column and post it I think most R/W pilots will agree that he has "hit the nail on the head"

gli77

If you want to be a pilot go R/W, if you want to be a flight manager stick with F/W, unless you fly floats but the pay sucks.

Tell your FW buddies this little nugget...

The Bell 206 JetRanger is the safest single engine aircraft in history. This comes by way of number of crashes per cycle (take-offs and landings).

I used to be the same as your FW buddies many years ago thinking helicopters were suicide machines. Knowing now what I do about FWs and helicopters... it's the airplanes that wig me out. Get the heebie-geebies on all of em no matter the plane's size.

As far as stats on crashes, I wouldn't bother. Some folks have it in their head that helicopters are death machines no matter what you tell them. <_<

Does anyone know where I can find some stats ...

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics"

If you only had a 100' x 100' "landing" site to work with following an engine failure, which aircraft would you rather be in?

Helicopters are not terribly efficient for long distance, high-speed, above-the weather transport. A fixed-wing can land in a confined area, but only ONCE! :shock:

These "discussions" are usually bred of ignorance. Sometimes some of that can be resolved by introducing the uninitiated to the 'other' pleasures of flight.

How you do that quote thing ??

Hit the "REPLY button T tail

Hi everyone,

Does anyone know where I can find some stats on rotary wing crashes/incidents vs fixed wing? At the moment I am working on fixed wing and getting beat up by my fixed wing colleagues over how "dangerous" helicopters are.

I figure watching the autopilot take you to 35 000 ft and bring you back down 10 hours later doesn't really compare with helicopter operations.

Anyone's opinion or story on this subject would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Helicopters crash more but the crashes are more survivable. I rather have my crash at walking speed then 180 knots.

Oh Deuce. What the **** do you know anyway.Now go back and finish that beer and where are my ribs damit.. :up:

Cheers Mini......