Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Rotary Vs Fixed

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great replies everyone thanks.

I started reading the forums on this site a few months ago and noticed one very distinct difference between other sites. A much more positive attitude. Go to avcanada and read some of the forums and you will see a night and day difference. Perhaps that speaks the most about the rotary world.

I would agree that an engine failure in a heliocpter is more desirable than an airplane(better if it never happens), but what about a tail rotor failure? Has anyone on this site ever experienced this? I was only in the rotary business for a couple years and never heard of a tail rotor failure.

Thanks everyone,

Great replies everyone thanks.

I started reading the forums on this site a few months ago and noticed one very distinct difference between other sites. A much more positive attitude. Go to avcanada and read some of the forums and you will see a night and day difference. Perhaps that speaks the most about the rotary world.

I would agree that an engine failure in a heliocpter is more desirable than an airplane(better if it never happens), but what about a tail rotor failure? Has anyone on this site ever experienced this? I was only in the rotary business for a couple years and never heard of a tail rotor failure.

Thanks everyone,

How about a fixed wing aircraft that loses its rudder ? :huh:

Skidz....are you referring to a TC report of one of our charter airlines that had that problem recently

That, and the Airbus that lost it's ENTIRE vertical fin and rudder over Brooklyn a few days after 9/11... :mellow:

How about a fixed wing aircraft that loses its rudder ? :huh:

No big deal, in a small plane, lose the rudder... you've got doors! :up:

Lose the elevators... you've got the throttle! :up:

Lose an aileron..... you're SCREWED! :o Right up there with losing the tail rotor. :down:

i know of a 212 that lost its tail rotor and 90deg gear box. Lost a tail rotor blade end cap and threw the whole works. pilot landed it. Now your tail rotor blades will have rivets on the end so that doesn't happen

first, i dont think that you get a commercial fixed wing licence and walk into a job with aircraft at 35,000. you start off small and move up. safty wise, its the pilot, the maintenance crew, company attitude on pushing limits and some luck. You have to descide on if you like to fly form point A to B or work a helicpoter as a work machine moving crews and equipment. 2 very differnent jobs. fixed wing you work concrete to concrete most of the time. Rotary, whats concrete?