Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Rotary Vs Fixed

B)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jet B @ Apr 1 2006, 08:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->

Losing a tail rotor isn't such a big deal, it could be nasty but there are ways to deal with it. The only thing that most likely will kill you is losing your main rotor.

Unfortunately doesn't losing the tail rotor usually also come with seperation of it and/or the gear box giving an unmanagable shift in CofG? :huh:

It has never happened to me but a friend and previous co-worker lost one tailrotor blade off of an astar in flight and managed to to land and walk away. So I guess the point is you can lose control of your tail rotor and not necessarily lose the whole gear box etc.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[the Canadian military, don't they buy the cheapest thing they can get?? Yea, 2 died in a griffon(412) in Newfoundland, i believe in 98 when the tail rotor got separated... originally quoted by Volition]

[An interesting post from someone who's attempting to become a rotary wing pilot in the Canadian military. quoted w squared]

I agree w squared!

And so, with the risk of being forever banned and ridden out of town on a rail......

Volition, you don't really sound like someone who is going to make it in the Military. (and I am speaking from years and years of experience here)

I for one, am tired of your misinformed and bass ackward opinions, and in fact, I call BS on alot of what you say you have done/seen. I think you should consider doing something else with your life. Clearly you aren't wrapped IAW the QR&O's.

all the best in your future endeavors (whatever they may be).

RTR

If memory serves, it was one of the two t/r blades that delaminated in flight and departed the a/c. I don't think they lost the whole kit & caboodle. I recall that one of the pilots lost a foot to frostbite, left the Forces and is now flying civvie...

Two seperate Griffon incidents - the first was a night CFIT in Northern Labrador and the pilot lost a couple of toes. A good guy who still flys albiet over warmer waters.

The CVR tape is one of the greatest CRM and 'why I should have Dunker training' tapes around.

The second was a failure of a tail rotor blade or components in NFLD, I think. Low level, low speed, bad weather - not a lot of room to analyse and recover, if possible, from the problem.

A terrible tragedy.

Volition - In view of the number of 412s and other Bell products flying successfully everyday worldwide I wouldn't be taking any cheap shots.