Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Job hunting

Had a good chat with a pilot awhile back who had some great info on how the lowtimer can get his neck in the door for that first job.

His advice was to pick three or so companies and to keep popping in on a regular basis untill one hires me. Is this a better plan of attack vs going cross country with a resume and showing my face to everyone just once? Sounds like good advice to me but I wanted your input also.

Any chief pilots reading this, what do you look for in lowtimers you hire vs the mountain of newbies you turn away?

I was thinking of trying to land a ramp job before I begin pilot training. Figured it''s something to put on a resume. Plus, maybe I could go back to the ramp after and wait for a seat to open up. What do you think?

Thanks once again for your input gang! Hope I''m not boring ya with all these questions...

Haven''t you asked this one before, Ryan?

I''d think it should be obvious that the more places you can make your face known, the better. I suppose that number has to be limited, though, by one''s resources and other practical considerations. That said, I''d sooner have my face and great attitude known well in a few places than get, "You look familiar" in a whole lot.

As to regional focus, although a job may be a job, and it shouldn''t matter where that first one is, I think it makes sense for the newbie to concentrate his effort on the flatlands unless he''s trained in, and tuned to, the rocks. There''s plenty of operators down there, and a lot less for you and them to worry about while gaining experience than out here.

As an erstwhile CP here and there, I''ve always felt that the attitude you display, especially when you''re NOT working at it, is the thing, after the basics like a licence and medical, that turns me on or off. If you''re ready to do ALL of the jobs around the shop; never whine or *****; always ready to clean and DI a machine; study all of the equipment in the bird, inside and out; read manuals or operations-oriented articles instead of Hustler or Victoria''s Secret; always keen to learn and understand more, you''re going to score high with me, and stand a good chance of filling the first vacancy.

And once you''re aboard, if you always show you respect our equipment, our ''rules'' and our reputation, we''ll respect you and want you around.

It may not be the best year to be finding work, Ryan, but good luck.