Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Personal Vehicle Use

T55

67November, glad you touched on a few, and only a few of the costs involved with driving a car.

don't forget the big "depreciation" value that you can't escape. and don't forget about the tires, suspension, steering, drivetrain wear that accompanies every mile you drive. Throw in the occasional windshield (if you've never driven northern canada, you'll never understand). I used to go through tank a day of diesel on a seismic job, thats a tad bit more than your estimate just in itself.

You'll find your $6.09 a day in costs is a little low.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been non stop issues with mileage at our company and we have told employee's repeatedly to rent a vehicle instead of using their own (I know of only one base doesn't have rental vehicles available). I 100% agree that personal vehicles shouldn't be used for work but if someone uses there own vehicle for company work than they have agreed to the mileage payed. If they don't want to use their own vehicle that they should tell their management that alternate means of transport is required. Its that easy!

There has been non stop issues with mileage at our company and we have told employee's repeatedly to rent a vehicle instead of using their own (I know of only one base doesn't have rental vehicles available). I 100% agree that personal vehicles shouldn't be used for work but if someone uses there own vehicle for company work than they have agreed to the mileage payed. If they don't want to use their own vehicle that they should tell their management that alternate means of transport is required. Its that easy!

It's that easy, eh? Have you had any discussions with bricks lately? ha ha

I was looking forward to this being an interesting thread, surprised there aren't more people chiming in. I have worked at a company where the DOM told me to take my car as there was no other option and I didn't feel it was a big enough issue to quit over at the time. I did end up getting a rock in the windshield that the KM rate didn't cover as I also had a wheel bearing go....

67November...we're now up to $10 a day...great, I guess you missed the tank of diesel a day. That in itself costs what????? A tad bit more than $10....

I tried the rental car rate plan once, never flew. they were paying $500 a month, no gas, so I turned in my lease vehicle and told them to blow me I wasn't using personal vehicles anymore. The first month with a rental cost them I believe $10000 (give or take). Didn't take them long to reconsider and buy a base vehicle.